Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I Challenge You Wednesday: Silk Flowers

It's time for "I Challenge You Wednesday"! I chose the challenge this week, and I decided my friend and I were going to use some of the silk flowers we've been collecting from thrift stores and such. :) We both have quite the stash, and mine just about doubled after a recent trip to my parents' where I got daisy bushes for $0.50/bush.

So here are my cards featuring silk flowers:



Supplies: stamp (Studio G); Sizzlets tag die; CB fleur de lis embossing folder; EK Success fleur de lis border punch; paper (ATD Serendipity, Making Memories, Paper Reflections); ink (SU Chocolate Chip); flowers (Michaels fall line).

I was going for a masculine sympathy card here. I needed one for our church member who just lost his mother. I figured brown and fleur de lis was about as masculine as I was capable of at the moment (since I was in "silk flower mode"), so this is the result. I really, really like this one! The picture doesn't do it justice because the colors are a little washed out.



Supplies: stamp (PSX); papers (Making Memories, Paper Reflections); rhinestones (Darice); Nestabilities Labels 8; ink (SU Chocolate Chip); flowers (thrifted silk).

This was actually the first card I made. I LOVE daisies! When I pull apart silk flowers to use on cards, I try to save the centers. They tend to be very lumpy, so I cut the back "stick" off this one to make it lay somewhat-flat.



Supplies: paper (Paper Reflections); MS PATP Eyelet Lace; CB Swiss Dots embossing folder; flowers (thrifted silk).

I don't have enough centers for all the flowers I pull apart, since there are sometimes 7+ layers to each flower. So here I created my own flower center by punching out a circle and running it through my Swiss Dots embossing folder. Then I popped it up on a dimensional before adding it to the flower. This card measures 5x5".



Supplies: stamp (Inkadinkado); papers (Paper Reflections; ATD Serendipity); EK Success fleur de lis border punch; Nestabilities Scallop Circles; ribbon (unknown); flowers (thrifted silk).

I love the color combination on this card, which was completely inspired by the patterned paper. I love it when supplies I've gathered from 15 different manufacturers (slight exaggeration) over a span of nearly 15 years all falls together into a coordinating card. (Yes, the ribbon dates back 15 years!)

I've had the sentiment stamps for awhile. They came with a whole set of circles in the vein of JustRite stamps. I've been wanting to try adding them to the center of a big flower for awhile now. I like the effect!



Supplies: stamp (Inkadinkado); paper (Paper Reflections; ATD Serendipity); MS PATP 3-Dot; Nestabilities Scallop Circles; flowers (thrifted silk).

This card is so bright it might just hurt your eyes! :) I love how cheery it is, though, and I love how the patterned paper made me use a color combination that I probably wouldn't have come up with otherwise. I think this will be a birthday card for one of my teen-aged nieces.

I was going to make a larger variety of cards to include more colors, but my time got cut a little short, so I didn't get the chance. Maybe I'll do more later! :)

In the meantime, check out my friend's blog to see what she came up with this week!

3 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Pretty! Pretty! The last two especially make me think of summer with their bright and cheery colors! Did you ink the edges of that last flower or did it come that way? I love the two color tones on it!

Christa said...

I didn't ink the edges of the last flower. It actually came that way, and I was thrilled! :) I got a whole big bag of them for $0.50, and each flower had about four layers.

Theo-Ann said...

cute cards! I made some cards today with a group of friends. You can take a look as I just posted about it. They're not originals of mine, but they can still give others ideas. Spring is in the air! I love daisies, too. They were my flower of choice at my wedding.:)

 
;