Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I Challenge You Wednesday: Chipboard Books

I chose the challenge this week, and I decided I needed to make some things with all these chipboard books I've been getting at Michaels. They're really cute shapes, but I'm not much of a mini-album person. I can't condense much of anything onto five pages, front and back .... although I really should try it sometime because mini albums are lovely little gifts.

These albums are so sturdy, though, the possibilities are almost endless. I only got the chance to create a few samples this week, thanks to a super-busy schedule and an unexpected bout of minor sickness that kept me out of the craft room on my most productive night. But now that I've started using them, I'm much more comfortable with them. I also had a few ideas swirling around in my head ever since I started the first of these projects, but I didn't get to try them all. I just might try them over the next few days and share what I come up with (if it's worth sharing).

So let's get to the samples.



Have you seen this scottie dog Mary Engelbreit book in the Michaels $1 bin? They were so cute that two of them jumped into my basket before I knew what was going on! ;)

I have a friend that I haven't gotten to visit with in awhile, and she loves scottie dogs. So I decided to make her a cute refrigerator magnet (yes, a BIG one!) to let her know I was thinking of her. I'll send it along with a short little note.

This scottie dog was a little hard to emboss. I had to "piece" the embossing through the embossing folder (CB D'vine Swirls), but I managed to do it in places that would be hidden by the collar and just the way your eye travels over the dog. (Can you see the "break" in the pattern at his tail?)

I gave him a red ribbon collar with a heart-shaped metal charm for his "nametag" and then completed him with one of my homemade glitter brads for an eye. Add a magnet to the back and you have a really cute refrigerator magnet!

Next up is a sample project for this year's Cousin Camp:



When they put these fish-shaped Crayola chipboard books on 50% clearance at Michaels, I noticed them for the first time. And then I could have kicked myself because I really wanted to have enough to make notebooks for Cousin Camp (as a craft), but usually the clearance is pretty picked over. Fortunately, they had an abundance of these fish books, so I was able to get enough for each of the kids to make a notebook and for me to make a sample craft to get their own ideas flowing.

This first picture is the front cover. I used patterned paper by My Mind's Eye and added iridescent Stickles glitter to the edge of the circles to make it nice and shimmery, like you would expect a fish to look. I used another homemade glitter brad for the eye.



This is the inside of the front cover. I covered it with a coordinating solid cardstock. I had to hide the prongs of that brad, so I cut out these little fish with my new CB die (from the scraps leftover after cutting out the covers) and added the larger ones with dimensionals so that the one in the upper right corner would fit over the brad prongs.

The back cover is pretty much the same, except I didn't put the little fish inside or the eye on the back. I thought it helped to draw attention to which was the front and which was the back.

I don't have this bound yet because the Stickles weren't dry yet, but I had to get the pictures taken and uploaded to make it in time. :) I'll be adding regular paper (cut to the same shape) between the covers to create a shaped notebook. By doing this, I'm able to get 2-1/2 notebooks out of each chipboard album pack.

Well, that's all for me today. You can check out what my friend made with her chipboard books here. I'd love to see any creative projects you've done with these chipboard shapes, too, since I have this little shopping addiction with them ... :)

0 comments:

 
;