Monday, April 25, 2011

Our Easter Dresses



How many of you remember the fun of a new dress for Easter when you were growing up? It seems this generation with its "blue jeans and t-shirt" church dress code is missing out on a lot more than they think. Our church people still dress up to come to church, and my daughter loves (mostly) every minute of it.

When I finished this dress several months ago, she called it her "wedding dress," probably because of the circle skirt and the fact that I kept it almost floor-length (to get the most wear possible from it). She usually protests when I buy her "poufy" dresses (her words, not mine), but she loves this one.



I had enough leftover from the sheet to make myself a half-circle skirt, and I love it as much as she loves her dress!

As you can see, these dresses could go with either pink or yellow. Since my son was wearing a yellow shirt, I decided we'd accent with yellow for Easter. However, the ribbon and rose are both removeable so we can go to pink accents if we want to. I would just wear my pink blazer in that case.

If you can get a close enough look at the rose pins, I made them using leftover satin ribbon from my daughter's dress ties. I made a pink and yellow one, and we'll alternate who wears which one depending on what color blazer I'm wearing.

I'm so pleased with how these turned out! Everyone commented on how pretty they were. No one could believe it when I told them I used a sheet.

I'm linking to Fiber Arts Monday, Whatever Goes Wednesday , Upcycled Awesome and










 http://www.thethriftyhome.com

15 comments:

AmandaL said...

These are too pretty! I'm just learning how to sew, but I love circle dresses/skirts.

Tammy @ she wears flowers said...

So impressive and pretty!

Unknown said...

So beautiful! You both look so fresh and fun for spring...love the color versitility and the lovely ribbon rose pin.

jemilyea said...

Very nice!

Olivia said...

WOW!!! Great job!

Kathy
http://teachinggoodthings.com

The Journey said...

I love those dresses! I wish people did dress up. I remember when you didn't go to the mall in your "old" clothes. LOL

KristenBieber said...

Really cute Easter dresses! I love how they match, my daughter and I do that sometimes too and she loves it!

Christine @ sugarandtrash.com said...

These are so cute! I love sewing with sheets, I gotta keep my eyes open for some cute prints.....

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Sheets!! Go figure! What a great job you did -- you both look beautiful! My "little girls" are almost 20 now but I still sew for them. This is a great idea for the sun dresses I need to make for them! Thanks for posting your lovely pics!

~Beth D. said...

these look very twirly! awesome job!

Lyssa Beth said...

Looks like i'm not the only one that used sheets! I love the skirt with your yellow blazer. Perfect for Easter and Spring!

Michelle L. said...

Absolutely, utterly cute! What adorable dresses and adorable photos to match. Love!

Esther Asbury said...

Your dress/skirt turned out very nice. Love the extra full skirt on Regina's dress -- she looks so pretty!

Unknown said...

cute sheets! Cute Dresses! Great job!

Unknown said...

SO creative!

www.generationalrose.blogspot.com

 
;