Thursday, February 24, 2011

Homemade Gift: Yellow "For the Love of Patchwork" Vintage Sheet Quilt



It's done! How do you like my first all-vintage-sheets quilt? Personally, I love it, but that's going to make giving it away that much more difficult.



I seem to find lots of vintage sheets in shades of yellow, so I decided to build this simple patchwork quilt around shades of yellow. Here you can see the quilting a little better. Since I did this in the quilt-as-you-go style, I was able to do different quilting on each square. The stripes got straight line quilting, and the florals got a free-motion meandering quilting.



Here is a peek at the back, for my friend who (like me) loves the quilting on the back! :) I used a thrifted high-quality white cotton sheet for the backing.



This is also the first quilt I've bound the traditional way, and I must say that I really like it. I pieced the binding for this one, using scraps of the fabrics I used in the quilt itself.

I love quilting and really admire a nicely-pieced, intricate pattern. However, as I've collected pictures of the quilts that really "strike" me, I've discovered that it's the simple square patchwork ones that I love the best. Maybe because they seem so "homey"??

Just in case you're interested, my squares were cut at 8" square.

Enjoy! :)



 http://www.thethriftyhome.com




Hump Day link


17 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I can't believe you're done with it already! Wow! You work fast!
Love the free motions quilting best -- especially on the back :) :)
Your quilt stack must be getting pretty high by now!

Laura said...

Good Morning Sophia,

This quilt is absolutely lovely! You have definitely inspired me to try this type of quilting...I was in the thrift shop yesterday and I spent some time looking at all the sheets they had on the shelves...some had such pretty floral designs and colors! Thank you so much for sharing this...I know how hard this will be for you to give it away!

Have a blessed day,
Laura

Christa said...

Yes, the stack is getting rather high. Almost all of the birthdays come from June on, so I should have several stacks by June! :)

katie jean said...

I love it! I still have a vintage sheet quilt on my "to do" list. And you did yours so nicely, it looks so clean and modern/vintage. The binding is especially nice :)

Ginny said...

This is beautiful!

Rhonda said...

very very pretty! it just says "happy"

Anne Maskell said...

It is absolutely beautiful! Yellow is such a fresh happy colour, makes you think of spring all year!

Humble Homemaker said...

This is beautiful! The colours are gorgeous together and it is perfect for the springtime. Great work. Thanks for hooking up at my Weekend Link Party! Have a great day.
Humble Homemaking

Mom Starting From Scratch said...

This is GORGEOUS! I love looking at the vintage sheets in thrift stores...you picked such lovely patterns!

Robin Ange said...

I love this quilt. Adorable.

Kathy, Jeff's Wife said...

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!

Do you mind if I feature this on next week's Fiber Arts Monday?

http://teachinggoodthings.com/blog/category/fiber-arts-monday/

Now you have me inchin' to go to the thrift stores!!!

Blessings,
Kathy

Christa said...

Kathy,

I'd be honored to have you feature my quilt!

Thanks! :)

Lauren @ Love, Water and Wine said...

Very cute! I'm working on my first quilt now; I hope it turns out as well as yours! I would love for you to link up to my Ten Buck Tuesday link parties!

Humble Homemaker said...

I loved your project so much that I featured it on this weeks Weekend Review at Humble Homemaking! Thanks so much for sharing your talent and creativity. Click the link below to check it out and collect your featured button for your blog! Have a great day. :)
The Weekend Review at Humble Homemaking

Renée said...

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful. I love the sunny yellow and the quilting is awesome. Congratulations!

Dianna said...

What a beautiful quilt! I'm looking to make something similar for my daughter. You are so talented.

Amanda Drietz said...

This is so lovely!! I never tire of vintage sheet quilts, and I love the yellows-very summery!

 
;