Friday, March 19, 2010

DIY "Scor-Mat" for the Martha Stewart scoring board

I'm not sure how "DIY" this is, but I couldn't think of a better term for what I wanted to share with you.

I got my Martha Stewart scoring board in December when they first came out at my Michaels. Boy, am I glad that I did! My friend has been looking for one ever since, and they haven't gotten them back in stock yet.

At any rate, I love my MS scoring board. Of course, there are plenty of people who are partial to their Scor-Pal, but I've never used one so I'm not spoiled for the "Cadillac" model. :) Nor do I want to be, since I saved around $30 buying this one with a coupon ...



The only thing the Scor-Pal has that I thought was neat is the Scor-Mat that can be laid over top of it so you can have a work surface on top of your space-hogging scoring board.

I actually store my scoring board vertically in a mail sorter, so it doesn't always take up all that space. But when I'm scoring a project, I like to be able to score, then fold right away without having to move my scoring board.

Enter my Creative Memories self-healing cutting mat. I don't use it a lot since I have a huge self-healing mat that someone gave me right on my worktable. So it's perfect for this use. Just pop it right on top the scoring board, and you have your very own Scor-Mat spin-off.



This is how I like to use mine, but you can also flip it the other way. Either way, it's just about the perfect size to fit on top of this scoring board!



The Creative Memories mat is about 1/4" thick, so it makes a sturdy work surface that won't damage your scoring board. If you have another brand that's about the same thickness and about the same size, it should work beautifully.

I hope that helps someone else as much as it's helped me!

1 comments:

Marla said...

What a great idea. I have the mini scor-pal and dont like it at all but would love to have one of these.

 
;