Saturday, September 8, 2012

Free Knitting Pattern: Basic Seamless Bitty Pullover

Today I'm doing something completely new to me - sharing a knitting pattern I designed myself. 

I wanted to make some sweaters for my daughter's Bitty Twins for Christmas this year, but I couldn't find a pattern designed with their unique bodies in mind. I prefer seamless knits, too, since seaming is the bane of my knitting existence.

This is no earth-shattering pattern, but I hope it will help fellow moms (and those of you who collect these dolls yourself). If you want something more than a basic sweater, you can work this in stripes, add a chart, whatever. It's a basic pattern that can go a lot of different ways. But, most importantly, it fits the Bitty Twins great!

For your reference, the Twins are 15" tall with a 13" chest. They are slightly shorter and chunkier than the 18" dolls on the market.

If you try this and have any trouble, please let me know. I've test-knit it several times myself, but I know that things can slip through the cracks.


 

Basic Seamless Bitty Pullover

Materials

DK/sportweight yarn – 1 ball (1.75 ozs/50 g)
needles – size 6 (DPNs and 16”) and size 4 (DPNs and 16”)
waste yarn in a contrasting color - two scraps to hold sleeve stitches

Gauge

8 rows = 1”, 5 sts = 1”

Instructions – Main Sweater


Using larger needles, cast on 66 sts. Place marker and join to work in the round. Work in 1x1 ribbing for 1 round. Switch to smaller needles. Continue in 1x1 ribbing for 7 rounds (1”).

Set-up Rnd: Switch to larger needles. K17, pm, k16, pm, k17, pm, k16, sm. (66 sts)

NOTE: Switch to 16” circular needle when you have enough stitches.

Rnd 1: (k1, m1L, k to 2 sts before marker, m1R, k1, sm) repeat around. (74 sts)
Rnd 2: Knit all.
Rnd 3: Repeat Rnd 1 (increase rnd). (82 sts) (You should be able to switch to the 16” circular on this row.)
Rnd 4: Knit all.
Rnd 5: Repeat Rnd 1 (increase rnd). (90 sts)
Rnd 6: Knit all.
Rnd 7: Repeat Rnd 1 (increase rnd). (98 sts)
Rnd 8: Knit all.
Rnd 9: Repeat Rnd 1 (increase rnd). (106 sts)
Rnd 10: Knit all.
Rnd 11: Repeat Rnd 1 (increase rnd). (114 sts)
Rnd 12: Knit all.
Rnd 13: Repeat Rnd 1 (increase rnd). (122 sts)
Rnd 14: Knit all.
Rnd 15: Repeat Rnd 1 (increase rnd). (130 sts)
Rnd 16: Knit all.
Rnd 17: Repeat Rnd 1 (increase rnd). (138 sts)
Rnd 18: Knit all.
Rnd 19: K35 sts, remove marker, transfer 34 sleeve sts onto waste yarn, remove marker, k35 sts, transfer 34 sleeve sts onto waste yarn.

Knit even until sweater measures 2-5/8” inches from underarm. On the last row, decrease 10 sts evenly around (*k5, k2tog; repeat from * around).

Switch to smaller needles. Work in 1x1 ribbing for 8 rounds (1”). Bind off in pattern, using a stretchy bind-off. (This is the stretchy bind-off I used.)

Instructions – Sleeves


Transfer 34 arm sts from waste yarn onto larger DPNs. Pick up 4 sts under arm (2 on either side of middle underarm).

Rnd 1-3: Knit. (38 sts)
Rnd 4: k1, ssk, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1. (36 sts)
Rnd 5-7: Knit. (36 sts)
Rnd 8: k1, ssk, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1. (34 sts)
Rnd 9-11: Knit. (34 sts)
Rnd 12: k1, ssk, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1. (32 sts)
Rnd 13-15: Knit. (32 sts)
Rnd 16: k1, ssk, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1. (30 sts)
Rnd 17-19: Knit (30 sts)
Rnd 20: k1, ssk, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1. (28 sts)
Rnd 21-23: Knit. (28 sts)
Rnd 24: k1, ssk, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1. (26 sts)

Switch to smaller DPNs. Work in k1,p1 ribbing for 8 rows (1”). Bind off in pattern, using a stretchy bind-off.

Repeat for second sleeve.

Knitting Abbreviations

k = knit
k2tog = knit two stitches together
m1L = make one left (this is an increase - feel free to substitute your favorite increase)
m1R = make one right (this is an increase - feel free to substitute your favorite increase)
pm = place marker
sm = slip marker
ssk = slip, slip knit

Terms of Use

Use this pattern to make as many of these sweaters as you like. Give them away, sell them, do whatever you like with the finished product. All I ask is that you respect my copyright and not sell the pattern itself. Link-backs are appreciated, but the knitting police won't come after you if you don't. All I ask is that you play fair. Oh, and don't mention this to my daughter until after Christmas! :)

4 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Lovely job Christa! If I were a knitter I'd be thrilled right now, but since I'm not I'll just have to look and admire!

yiayia said...

I am with u I hate to do more than sew 1 or 2 seams. I am going to try your pattern for an AG doll.
Thanks naomi

yiayia said...

I love patterns with little sewing. Thanks will try this for my AG doll

Maria del Valle said...

Lovely pattern, thank you!!

 
;