Monday, March 29, 2010

Under His Wings

We just found out last week that one of the evangelists that both my husband and I grew up listening to has been diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer - for the second time. It doesn't sound good, so I wanted to send her a card to let her know how much we have appreciated her ministry through the years, as well as assuring her that we are praying for her strength during these difficult times.

These are perhaps the hardest cards for me to know how to handle. I know it's not always God's will to heal people, so when the prognosis is especially bleak, I don't necessarily want to send "get well" cards. That might make them feel even worse! Instead, I like to send a "praying for you" encouragement card.

Eagles are beautifully highlighted in Scripture, and some of my favorite verses refer to God protecting us as a mother bird protects her young. This verse (Psalm 91:4) was the first one that came to my mind when I thought about what to make, so I designed my own "word art". [I use that term quite loosely since all I did was change the font size in a few places.]

Then I tried to figure out how best to combine the two images that I wanted to use. They are both free clip art, and they are among my favorites! You can find the eagle here and the nest here. I ended up printing them separately (sized so they would fit together well), coloring and cutting them out, then gluing the eagle on top of the nest.



Supplies: stamps (free digital images); paper (Making Memories); ink (BIC Mark-Its, colored pencils blended with baby oil); Nestabilities Labels 8; Paper Glaze.

I added Paper Glaze to the eggs to make them stand out more. The white you see on the picture below is actually a reflection of the light. (I'm not good at adding white accents myself.)



This card was a little extra work, but it was worth it. This lady is very special, and I wanted her card to be special, too.

0 comments:

 
;