Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A rose card using those glittery leaves!

So you wanted to see what I had in mind for those glittery leaves I bought at Dollar Tree on Monday? Well, I sat down tonight and created a card with the basic idea I had in my head. Here it is:



Supplies: rose stamp (Rubber Stampede), sentiment (SU Wonderful Words), rhinestones (Dollar Tree) colored with my BIC marker (Key Lime), iridescent embossing powder (Rubber Stampede), glittery leaves (Dollar Tree), gold foil tissue paper (Dollar Tree), Textiles embossing folder (Cuttlebug), Nestabilities Labels 8.

If that's not enough bling for you, then perhaps you don't like bling! I could be a raccoon as much as I like shiny things, and this card almost hurts your eyes in bright lighting. I love it! :)

So for a few details ... I used just one leaf to make the two leaves here. Because of the way they're shaped, I cut it off the stem and then in the middle. Then I was able to tuck the middle behind the rose and get two leaves for the price of one. You know I liked that!

I made the rose using the watercolor technique where you emboss the rose on glossy cardstock (I used glossy photo paper) with white ink, then mist it with water and add a few drops of reinker. Mine turned out a little different than most I've seen, but it was still a neat effect.

After it dried overnight, I smooshed my Versamark pad over the top of it, sprinkled it with iridescent embossing powder, and heat set it. It gave the rose a glittery shine without the problem of glitter flaking off. Caution: I don't know that I'd try this with the watercolor technique again, since it did get a smidgen of the color on my Versamark pad.

Since the leaves are 3D, they have a bit of depth to them. I compensated by adding dimensionals to the back of the rest of the rose so it could lay as evenly as possible.

Here's a closer picture that shows the details better:

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Oh, you're always coming up with something new! What a fun way to use those leaves!

 
;