Tuesday, September 29, 2009

4 Cards from a Color Challenge

Although I didn't get to post anything this past week, that doesn't mean I wasn't creating anything. I just didn't get time to post it! So here are four cards that were inspired by the CC237 color challenge at Splitcoaststampers (and another challenge or two). I don't have Stampin Up products, so I substituted papers that I thought were close:



Supplies: image (Leaves of Time free digi image), free keyhole shape design by Mel McCarthy, Allegro CB embossing folder, rhinestones (Dollar Tree) colored with my BIC markers, EK Success fleur de lis border punch.

This first card was also inspired by the sketch challenge SC247. I was very happy with this one!



This second one feels like it's missing something, but I can't figure out what, so I'm leaving it. It uses the same sketch challenge.

Supplies: image (free digital image from Leaves of Time), free keyhole shape design by Mel McCarthy, tiny adhesive rhinestones (Dollar Tree) colored with my BIC markers, EK Success fleur de lis border punch, sentiment (Studio G).



This one also feels like it's missing something, but since I suspect I just don't do well with this particular sketch, I'm leaving it "as is."

Supplies: image (free digital image from Leaves of Time), free keyhole shape design by Mel McCarthy, EK Success fleur de lis border punch, sentiment (Studio G).



This one is not for a sketch challenge, but it is for a second challenge called Featured Stamper (FS137), where we choose a card from a certain cardmaker's gallery and make one similar. Here's the card I chose. I changed the sentiment, colors, and omitted the ribbon since I just couldn't get it to look right (even though it's what drew me to the card in the first place). I added rhinestones and fleur de lis punch-outs as well.

Supplies: image (free digital image from Leaves of Time), Nestabilities Labels 9, EK Success fleur de lis punch (for the punch-outs), CM fancy corner rounder, rhinestones (Dollar Tree) colored with my BIC markers.

I thought I'd explain a little something here, too. I don't usually send out Thanksgiving cards. What prompted me to design these (and to begin sending some this year) is the sheer volume of Halloween cards I've seen this year, and a comment from a foreigner asking if all Americans send Halloween cards (she was a bit puzzled, since no one does it where she comes from).

Please excuse my "two cents" here, but Halloween is no longer the "innocent" holiday some people may remember from our childhoods. Look at most houses decorated for Halloween, and I'm sure you'll understand what I mean. Gone are the funny-faced jack-o-lanterns. In their place are decorations worthy of gruesome crime scenes none of us would ever want to stumble upon.

It's pretty bad when I can't take my kids past certain aisles in the stores because they are frightened by displays of dismembered bodies (and parts) and the devilish howls coming from so-called "innocent" decorations. Not many things make me angry, but these displays do. Unfortunately, if I boycotted every store that offers them, we'd starve until Halloween is over.

But enough of my ranting ... I made Thanksgiving cards because most retailers virtually skip Thanksgiving, and it gets overlooked for the wonderful holiday that it is. I'd much rather celebrate giving thanks than to celebrate dismembering bodies. I think we need to give renewed attention to the Thanksgiving holiday.

So this is my personal rebellion this year. Care to join me? :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, lovely! Thanks for the freebie links, I will share with my digistamping group (are you in the group Sophia?) Anyhow, Lovely cards!

Esther Asbury said...

These pictures don't do those cards justice! My personal favorite is the music one!

angie said...

Amen.
We try to focus on the harvest aspect at the end of October. My children do wear costumes, but are not interested in the ghoulish aspect. This year, my daughter is wearing a Laura Ingalls dress.

 
;