Monday, September 27, 2010

Fancy footed cake plate, dollar-store style

I've had this idea in my head for awhile now, and this past weekend I found the perfect items to do it! You've probably seen the footed cake plates made from a dollar-store plate and candlestick. They can be quite lovely! But I had another idea ... something that I thought would look really, really fancy:



How's that? I'm not sure where I ever got the idea, but I had to have seen something similar before. After searching online for awhile, though, this is the closest I could come. (It's also the only similar one I could find.) $223?!? You've got to be kidding me! No offense, but anyone that buys that has to have a lot more money than sense.

Anyway, back to the project at hand ... If you want to make something similar, it will cost you about $4 (not including the E6000 glue). You need:

  • 3 dollar store figurines - $3
  • 1 matching plate - $1
  • E6000 glue - I had this on hand, and you don't need much (it's around $5 full-price at Michaels, but don't forget you can use a coupon)




The first thing you want to do is make sure your figurines can touch somewhere, probably along the bottom. Just set them down so they form a triangle and make a note of where they touch. Put a dab of E6000 glue at each of those places and stick them together. Mine were glued where the lady's skirt touches the man's foot.

You can let that dry before moving on, but it's not necessary. I was too impatient, so I just kept going. :)



Figure out what part of the figurine your plate will rest on (i.e. the highest points). In this case, it rested on the men's heads. Put a generous dab of E6000 on that spot and carefully center your plate over the whole thing.

Let it set up, and you're in business!

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. The possibilities are really endless. I saw some cute clear snowmen, and they'd look really cute holding up a clear glass plate. I might just make one as a Christmas gift. :)

2 comments:

goldfine said...

cute cute cute!

Elizabeth said...

What a great idea! Thanks for visiting my blog too. :)

 
;