Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A small but significant victory!

I'm not a random person. When I took cake decorating classes, my instructor tried to help me place flowers randomly on my cake, but it just didn't come naturally to me. I remember her telling me, "Nature is random." Alas, I am not.

It's the same way with any random design, including the free motion quilting known as "meandering". I just couldn't do it ... until now:



Yeah!! It's certainly not the best meandering quilting you'll ever see, but it's random and it's curvy, so it's a huge accomplishment for me! :)

Stay tuned for more details on this project in a few days when I finish it!

5 comments:

Julia said...

It looks great! It is always fun to get out of your comfort zone and try something new. Can't wait to see more!

CraftyViolet said...

Your meandering is actually pretty good! Nice job.

Esther Asbury said...

I love the random quilting look -- yours looks great!

jemilyea said...

Did you enjoy it? Will you do it again? I like it. I've now made two quilts since my first autumn quilt, and I've stippled both. I keep track of how many Focus on the Family broadcasts and online radio shows I listened to while quilting, then I know approximately how long I spent on the quilting part.

I'm trying to get up my nerve to quilt just with straight lines. It will be easy because of my walking foot, but I'm not sure how the finished project will look after washing it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new project.

Christa said...

Yes, I enjoyed it; and yes, I'll be doing it again. I'm curious how long it took you to finish a quilt this way. I know I read that one lady did hers in two hours, but I suspect she's been machine quilting for years ... and I don't think hers was quite bed-sized.

 
;