Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Braggging on my daughter!

Look what my soon-to-be-5-year-old daughter did in school today:



Yep, that's cross-stitch done on shelf-liner paper, and she did all but the top row of the capital "I" by herself. (I showed her how to do it on the top row, and then just watched and guided her when she asked, as she finished it.)

We're studying "I,i" this week, so I wanted to do some projects that went along with it. That's when I remembered the idea of cross-stitching with yarn on this shelf paper. It was featured on another blog, but I can't remember which it was (either Filth Wizardry or Dollar Store Crafts, I think).

To prepare, I just drew x's with permanent marker in the shape of a capital "I" and lowercase "i". She used a plastic, blunt needle, and I threaded it for her. Other than that, it's honest-to-goodness cross-stitch, and I'm completely blown away at how quickly she got the idea.



She was pretty proud of herself, and so was I! :)

4 comments:

Theo-Ann said...

She did a wonderful job! She's such a cutie, too. I used to teach K5; they are like "sponges" at this age. Love it!

Christa said...

You're so right about them being sponges! I often forget and need to remind myself that she's capable of so much more than I expect. :)

Esther Asbury said...

What a cute idea.....she looks so proud of herself! I'm for anything that makes learning FUN!

Kristen Bieber said...

What a great idea for teaching the alphabet! You could do one for each letter and some how sew it together as a book.

 
;