Thursday, July 22, 2010

Braided Jeans Rag Rug

Remember the crocheted rugs I've been making from old, stained clothing? Well, I finally got around to using up some of the mountains of denim that have been accumulating from my ever-growing son (and his daddy).

I tried to crochet with the strips of denim, but it's just too thick. So I decided to try my hand at a braided rag rug. I was a little intimidated at first, but it's really quite easy -- and surprisingly quick!

Here's my first rug, all finished:



It's about 22" across (diameter), so it's not as small as the picture makes it out to be.

Here's a closeup:



This is definitely one of those projects that makes you feel like a pioneer woman - in a fun way! :)

3 comments:

jemilyea said...

Very nice rug! Making one is on my list of things to do someday. How wide did you cut your strips and what type of thread did you use to stitch the braid?

Christa said...

I cut my strips 1" wide and used special button thread to stitch it together. I used black on this one because it's what I had no hand, but in the future I think I'll buy dark blue. You can get small spools of it at Wal-Mart for $0.97, and one spool will do a rug about the size of mine. :)

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Oh, that's fabulous!

 
;