Friday, July 16, 2010

Bow Handbag Variation: Simplest

I have another variation on the Bow Handbag. I marked this one as the simplest because I eliminated a lot of the pricey doo-dads. You know I'm all about affordable ideas, and I wouldn't be adding "D" rings to the purses if I hadn't found them for $0.50/4 on clearance. (They were regularly priced at $1.99/4.) So in case you didn't find any clearance deals on "D" rings, this one is for you. :)

As you can see, it's still pretty: I used the back of one of the magnolia file folders to create this purse. The back has this gorgeous understated print, but none of the magnolias. It's perfect for a purse and you can pair it with lots of other things that aren't made from the magnolia file folders.

How did I make this one simpler?
I eliminated the "D" rings altogether and instead simply attached the ribbon to the sides of the purse. (Notice this one isn't as deep? I didn't have very wide scraps to make the sides with, but it will work great for what I had in mind to put inside ... more on that some other time.)
I think it's quite pretty like that, but I got this idea after I came to my craft room the next morning:

Add some bling with rhinestones. I added them around the curved top, as well as on the top and bottom of the "belt" loops that hold the ribbon in place. The rhinestones are cheap enough when you buy them at the dollar store. I have nearly a lifetime supply, and I only bought a few bags. :)
If you'd like to make a bow handbag, you can find the tutorial for $1.99 in my Etsy shop here. (If the link doesn't work, check in the Tutorials section of my shop.)

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Very nice! Now we're getting down to my price range (ha ha) with no extra rings to be added I might just have to try my hand at one of these someday!
Those rhinestones are a keeper for sure!

 
;