Thursday, July 8, 2010

3D Paper Teapot

I've seen some really cute 3D paper teapots lately. There are tutorials for sale, but I looked at them and said, "I think I can do that!" So here is my concept/working model:



There were still a few "bugs" to work out. One of the biggest was the size of the lid - the lip was way too small.

So yesterday morning I asked my mom what she wanted to do today and she said she'd like to make one of these teapots for her pastor's wife. (I don't think she reads my blog, so I hope I'm not spoiling any surprises!) My mom chose a metallic blue with yellow accents, to go with the pastor's wife's kitchen decor.

Here's what we ended up with:



We both really loved it. I had it sitting on my desk all day, just admiring it. I could tell you all the little goofs we made on this one, but you probably wouldn't notice unless I told you ... so I'm not going to. :)



My mom is in love with the paper roses I made to decorate it (and especially that microfine iridescent glitter on the petals). They really added to the beauty of this teapot!

In case you're wondering, the sentiment and spoon are from a Fiskars stamp set I picked up at JoAnn Fabrics while we were on vacation. Also, you can fit quite a few things in these teapots. My mom is planning to fill hers with teabags, but you could also fill them with candy (like those DeMets Turtles I got so cheap last week), candles, you name it!

2 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

So you got it to work! Love that color combo --- blue and yellow -- seems so "summery."

Ginny said...

Oh my! That has to be one of the cutest paper items I've seen in a long time! It is absolutely amazing!!

 
;