Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What I made for Father's Day

Oops! I meant to post this last week but forgot to download the pictures from my memory card. Oh well, maybe you can file the idea away for another time. :)

I first saw this grill box/gift card holder on Splitcoaststampers. Lorri Heiling is the creator of this cute box and has a tutorial for sale here, if you're interested. (It's only $2.95, which is a really great price.)

I enjoy a challenge, so I sat down and figured it out myself. (I love math ... remember?) :) It's a basic box base with a shaped lid, which isn't too hard to figure out if you look at the shape of the side of the lid and recreate it on graph paper. Then all you have to do is measure each side of that shape to figure out how long your piece of paper needs to be and where you need to score it.



I made 15 of these for our church's Father's Day gifts. We usually give gift cards every year, so I'm always on the lookout for cute packaging ideas.

Since I was making 15 of them, I took a few shortcuts. You could easily add the brads for handles on the doors, pop up one of the hamburgers on the plate, and add the legs and spatula if you were only making one.



As usual, everyone raved over the boxes. One man even commented on how much it looks like a Weber grill. I don't know a lot about grills, so I'll take his word for it. :)



Here are all 15, lined up and ready to go. They looked really cute on display!

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Very Cute! It's so fun having a "Math Genius" for a friend...one that has the patience to figure out all those fun templates for sale!

 
;