Monday, February 8, 2010

A Valentine's Day gift idea

I don't know about your husband, but mine is almost impossible to shop for! He has everything he needs or wants, and I brainstorm for months about what to get for him. Last year's Valentine's Day gift was such a huge hit, though, that I decided to do a variation on it this year. It didn't cost me anything, except for a few pennies for the doily I lined it with, but I guarantee you he'll like it better than anything I could have bought at the store.

This can be customized to anyone, not just your husband. Read on for more details ...



I started out with this red foil Russell Stover chocolate gift box from a previous Valentine's Day. Of course I ate all the chocolate eons ago, but the box was too pretty to toss. I just added my own homemade "chocolates" inside:



I punched out brown hearts with my CM heart punch and then ran them through my Cuttlebug with the D'vine Swirls embossing folder (to mimic the swirls on top real chocolates). Then I made tiny (about 1") origami boxes and glued those to the top of the boxes. I glued red hearts to the bottom of the boxes, too.

Here you can see them nestled in the shiny gold (at least they are outside) mini cupcake liners I got during the after-Christmas clearance:



It does look a lot like a box of chocolates when you open it up. Even I was surprised by the effect. :)



I added a Dollar Tree 8" paper doily to the box lid, and I plan to add a verse or two inside as well. Since those will be a bit personal, I decided to photograph the box at this stage. I still have to decorate the outside of the box, and I'm leaning toward another Dollar Tree paper doily (10" this time).

Here's a closeup of the "chocolates":



I made the little boxes to be able to include a note for a special treat. (I'll probably include two little red hot hearts, too, since they're the perfect size to fit inside with a note.) This is where you can personalize it for whomever you want. What do they like? A foot rub? An hour to themselves? Something else? Just tuck a little note inside promising them they can have it when they pick that "chocolate". I guarantee this will be a much better gift than anything you could buy in the store!

I was able to fit 16 chocolates inside this box. You could always decorate a mini one if you can't think of as many little "treats".

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Wow -- those do look a lot like real chocolates. Makes my mouth water! Cute idea!

Kristen Bieber said...

Really pretty, and a cute idea! My kids would like these filled with little treasures, and it would be better than giving then any candy!

Traci said...

How pretty and how creative! I love this idea..and it would be wonderful for any family member...I'm thinking of something for my grown kids...thank you so much for this sweet idea!

 
;