Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Challenge You Wednesday: Birds

If you remember from last week, my friend and I are getting together each Wednesday on our blogs to share our creations on a particular theme. My friend chose the theme this week, and it was "birds". Boy, I didn't realize how many bird stamps I have! And most of them hadn't been inked up yet. I get so many great deals that sometimes it takes me awhile to get to working with them all ...

Anyway, I set out all my bird stamps on my desk and looked at them for a day or so. Then I got inspired and created all of these in one day (my personal "day off").

So here are my cards for the week ...



Supplies: stamp (Inkadinkado pelican); paper (Paper Reflections, ATD Serendipity); Cuttlebug vintage corner die; dew drops.

I don't think I've ever done an inked sunset card before, but I finally got a brayer for Christmas, so I decided to try it. I hadn't done masking before, either, but it wasn't as hard as I always thought it was. I simply masked the pelican and card background to make the setting sun, then masked the setting sun to make the sunset background. If I had it to do over, I would have added some red ink to the mix. All in all, though, I'm happy with it.



Supplies: stamp (Inkadinkado pelican); Nestabilities Labels 1; paper (Paper Reflections, ATD Serendipity); corner rounder; double-sided black satin ribbon.

I used the same technique on this card, but I cropped the image this time. I like this one, too!



Supplies: stamp (Martha Stewart birds); paper (Paper Reflections, Making Memories); Nestabilities Labels 1; EK Success fleur de lis border punch; colored pencils blended with baby oil.

Now we move on to the Martha Stewart birds that I got dirt cheap at Tuesday Morning and Big Lots last year. I'll just warn you upfront that I like to look at birds, but I have no idea how to color them. I've probably colored birds that don't even exist, at least not the way I colored them. If you know the type of bird each of these is, I'd really appreciate if you'd tell me in the comments so I can look them up online to see how they're supposed to be colored! :)

With that little disclaimer out of the way, I was pretty happy with how these cards turned out.



Supplies: stamp (Martha Stewart birds); Nestabilities Labels 1; paper (Paper Reflections, Making Memories); EK Success fleur de lis border punch; colored pencils blended with baby oil.

I like the colors on this one, probably because I do know what a robin is supposed to look like! :) Now if that's really a robin, I'll be shocked ...



Supplies: stamp (Martha Stewart birds); Nestabilities Labels 8; Cuttlebug vintage corner die; paper (ATD Serendipity, Paper Reflections); colored pencils blended with baby oil.

This is a cute little bird. I only wish I knew what colors he's supposed to be!



Supplies: stamp (Martha Stewart birds); Nestabilities Labels 8; paper (unknown, Making Memories); colored pencils blended with baby oil.

I love how the paper matched so well on this card. I think it's my favorite of the Martha Stewart bird cards, even if it is the simplest in design.


Supplies: stamp (Anna Griffin stork, Autumn Leaves Flourishes); Nestabilities Large Scallop Circle; Martha Stewart heart lace border punch; paper (Paper Reflections); Versamark and clear embossing powder.

I've had this stamp for a long time and didn't know how to use it. It's more of an "antiquey" image, so I didn't know how to color it. Then I saw that a lot of people stamp those kinds of images in light brown, and I liked the effect.

Since I used my flourish stamps on the dollar store frame the other day, I haven't been so afraid of them. So this time I decided to make my own patterned paper since I didn't have any in my stash that were "just right" for these cards. I like how they turned out!

So here it is, in a girl and boy version. My niece just had a baby, and when I made this I didn't know if it was a boy or girl, so I made one of each. (It's a boy.)



Supplies: stamps (Tim Holtz Flight of Fancy, Flourishes v2 by Autumn Leaves); paper (ATD Serendipity, Paper Reflections); Nestabilities Labels 8 and Large Scallop Circles; Martha Stewart eyelet PATP border punch; liquid pearls; Versamark ink and clear embossing powder.

Lastly, I used a Tim Holtz set called Flights of Fancy. I've used this one before, but it never hurts to try something new with a stamp! I really like those pink pearls around the scallop edging, but I'm too cheap to buy the stick-on flatback pearls and then use them so quickly. That's why I love the liquid pearl paint - it's easy to apply and it's very inexpensive. I can get hundreds of pearls out of one bottle!

That's all I have for this week. Now you'll want to check out my friend's blog to see what she came up with. As always, feel free to participate and leave a link in the comments. You're just as welcome to simply browse, though! :)

2 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Christa, Where do I start??? 1. I really like the brayered sunset! That turned out so pretty! 2. I think the first bird card you did is a Robin and the blue one is a bluebird. I looked birds up on-line and found different variations that would fit with that last one.
3. Those stork cards are so neat!! I really like the "antique" look done with brown ink! BTW - Great job on making your own background.4. My personal favorite is the last one using the Tim Holtz set! BEAUTIFUL! Love those little "pearls" around the edge of the scallop!

Susan said...

I use my brown ink a lot to shade edges and to stamp "vintage" looking images. I've sold a lot of vintage-look tags in my Etsy shop - they're my favorite to do!

 
;