Friday, February 19, 2010

More Calendar Cards: More Butterflies

If you know me, you know that I hate to waste anything. When I saw the thumbnail images on the back of the butterfly calendar were 2" square, I cut them out to use on a card.

I initially thought I'd group them in fours onto a regular-sized card or even running them through my little Xyron "X" and making them into seals. But then I got to looking at those small "thank you" cards that came in my $0.25-pack graduation cards and realized that this was even better: they're small, but still mailable. And sometimes you don't need to write a super-long note.

So here are a slew of 3-1/2" x 5-1/2" cards to go along with the larger ones I showed you yesterday. I think this is the smallest size that you can mail, by the way.



The thumbnail images on the back of the calendar were 2" square, so I matted them all onto black 2-1/4" squares. Then I matted those onto coordinating-colored cardstock that I trimmed just 1/8" smaller than the card itself. Since the card was black, that allowed a thin black edge to show around the card.



I like using the "Thinking of You" sentiment because it's so versatile. You can use it for a get well card, a birthday, a sympathy ... and just a general "I thought of you today" card. These little notes are perfect for that last kind.



And just in case you're wondering what those cards looked like before, here they are. I got 50 of them in each pack of cards (along with 50 of the larger cards and 50 tassels), along with matching envelopes. They are black on the outside but white on the inside, which is perfect for my purposes!
But wait! I still had one larger-sized thumbnail image from the back cover. So I used it to make this 4-1/4" x 5-1/2" card:



I had so much fun with these little cards! I was able to use a bunch of my middle-sized paper scraps.

3 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I love these mini cards! The idea for recycling the mini pictures on the backs of calendars is a good one.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

What a creative idea. They turned out beautifully.
Thanks for sharing,
~Pam
http://stampsinc.blogspot.com/

Stephanie said...

Hi Sophia! Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. I found the tutorial for the ribbon flower here: http://makeitdo.wordpress.com/2009/06/03/peony-clips/

Great idea to use up those great calendar pages...these cards are fabulous!! Have a great week :)

 
;