Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cuttlebugged ATCs

Since the 50%-off sale on Cuttlebug merchandise was going on at Michaels this week, I got a few new Cuttlebug dies today. My store won't take coupons for any Cuttlebugs or accessories, so I decided I better get a few dies to last me until the next sale ... if there ever is one. Thank goodness I have a little extra personal money coming in this week! :)

I was pleased to get 2 sets of long dies (2 in a pack - Flowers and Floral Borders), a pack of 4 square dies (Vintage), and a spare set of "B" folders (just in case) for $32. That's pretty much all of the Cuttlebug dies and folders that interest me at my local Michaels.

They don't carry any of the embossing folders I like, with the exception of the one I already purchased, so I didn't buy any of those. They had plenty of the small embossing folders that will emboss squares and sayings and designs and such, but I like to emboss backgrounds instead.

I'm actually thinking about going back and getting the CuttleKids dies with the motorcycle, dune buggy and two other vehicles in it. It would be $5 for the four dies. That's reasonable! I passed them up at first because I thought it would be a lot of wrangling with small pieces. But the more I think about it, the more I think I could get a lot of mileage out of those diecuts (no pun intended) on masculine cards. So we'll see if my husband or I ends up in town again this week!

Anyway, I said all that to say this ... I made a few ATCs, just playing around to see what ideas popped into my head and how I might use all of these together. And since Valentine's Day is coming up, I decided to go with the heart theme. Here are the two designs I came up with so far:




For the first one, I embossed the background with my D'vine Swirls folder and "rounded" the edges with a fancy corner rounder. Then, on aluminum foil, I embossed the "Love" stamp die that came with my machine and cut it out with the matching die. I adhered that to the background, then adhered four corners from the Vintage die set to form a frame. At the top and bottom, I adhered leftover pieces from the insides of the corners.



For the second one, I first embossed the Love stamp folder into the base. I embossed the same folder into a piece of aluminum foil and cut out the heart by hand and adhered it to the base. Then I used my D'vine Swirls folder to emboss the rest of the base, one side at a time, then "rounded" the corners. I added four of my Vintage corner diecuts around the "stamp," then adhered a partial cut from the Floral Borders dies to the top.

I liked how they turned out! My favorite way to use ATCs is on cards, so I might try my hand at making them into valentines. We'll see ...

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Susan said...

The sale goes off tomorrow here, and I have quite a bit of Christmas money left, so my husband is encouraging me to go get a Cuttelbug. I hadn't paid much attention to them before now, because they were so expensive. Now I want one! LOL Does it come with any dies? I couldn't tell from the outside of the box at Michaels.

Christa said...

Mine came with the postage stamp die and four embossing folders to go with it (baby, love, gift and birthday). I hope you get this in time! :)

Susan said...

I have an errand to run in the morning, so I plan to go to Michaels while I'm out. I guess I can ask an associate if there are any dies in it - the box just says the basic stuff, from what I understand. I really don't know that much about it!

Cassie said...

these are fun! sounds like your michael's has a better selection than mine.

 
;