Tuesday, January 20, 2009

How to use those embossed soda cans

Since I actually need to use all that beautiful embossed metal (instead of hoarding it and having it clutter up my house), I challenged myself to create some cards with it last night. Here's what I came up with:
I think this one is my favorite! The notecard is embossed, although it doesn't show up in the picture. I got a pack of them from the $1 bins at Michaels. I used the soda can metal for the main embellishment (embossed with D'vine Swirls and used my Faux Nestabilities), the corners, and the flower center (also embossed with D'vine Swirls). To make the corners, I used those Vintage squares I had already cut. I just cut them diagonally, popped out the centers, and there they were! The sentiment came from a sheet of vellum quotes I got in that 7/$1 sale at Michaels last week, the silver ribbon was from the $1 bin at Michaels, and I made the flower with my Marvy daisy punches.

This was actually the first one I made. Details are pretty much the same as for the first card: the notecard came from a $1 section set, metal from soda can (embossed and cut same as above), flower from Marvy daisy punches, and ribbon from the $1 section. I used my new Martha Stewart lace punch on the lacy part and Vintage corner dies for the corners.

And this is the last one I did for the night. All details are the same as for the other cards.
So are you convinced yet that you need to save those soda cans? :)

2 comments:

Susan said...

Very nice!

I don't know what Nestabilities are - do you use them in the Cuttlebug? They look like templates?

Christa said...

Do a search for Nestabilities on eBay, and you'll find a whole slew of designs. The dies are a little different-looking than the Cuttlebug dies, and they require a different "sandwich". (I think it might be posted at the Provo Craft website.) You can cut and emboss with the same dies ... All that being said, though, I'm not sure now that the shapes of my "Faux Nestabilities" are actually made by Nesties. I think they might be a Big Shot die that's exclusive to Stampin Up. I'm going to research it, though, because I really like the shape!

 
;