Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Victorian lady cards: Installment #3

I have so many things to share, I might share a few posts today! First of all, here is another installment of cards made with those Victorian lady images I cut from the old datebook from Goodwill. And in case you missed the post about the book, never fear, these are not original antique images - they are reproductions. Even I know better than to cut an antique. :)
I just loved this image, for some reason. Maybe it's because the ladies look so friendly, or maybe it's because they're in the kitchen. At any rate, it was an advertisement for paraffin wax. My "Faux Nestibilities" shape made me love it even more!

This advertisement is hilarious. I can't recall if it's the Victorian-era version of an exercise machine or if they actually thought "riding" this chair would make you feel better, but I do recall thinking it would make a neat get well card.

This was another favorite image, an advertisement for Wonder flour. By cutting it with my "Faux Nestabilities," I was able to eliminate the ad part and just use the sweet image. If you notice, I used a lace punch on the card border. I also added a white strip of paper underneath so it actually shows up when it's closed. At this angle, it's a little harder to see.

Okay, so maybe I had a lot of favorites from this batch ... I love the simple elegance of this advertisement for tea. I also happened to have the perfect little stamp to embellish it with.

I like everything about this card ... except for the sentiment. The only reason I don't like the sentiment is that I botched it so badly it couldn't recover. But I had to use it since I was using my last scraps of these shades of paper and the card wouldn't look right with a big blank there.
Oh well! At least I did discover that I can change the color of the heads of my brads by dabbing them with StazOn ink and then immediately dipping them into clear embossing powder and heating them. These brads started out gold.

Nothing too fancy here, but I liked the color combination and the big flower. I'm so glad I saw another lady make gorgeous flowers with her Marvy punches! Now I know how to use mine.


And yet another favorite ... The image itself is gorgeous and totally my style. The bonus is that I had this watch stamp I had never used before. I embossed it on gold metallic paper with black ink, and this was the result. It's much clearer in person!

Here's one that I have a title for: "My heart ... burns for you!" :) How's that for a little creative license? I knew I wanted to accent what the girl is wearing, but I certainly didn't want to accent black with the golden pumpkin in the corner, for fear of making her look like a witch presiding over a cauldron. Instead, I chose the burgundyish red from her top and accented with black and gold. The stamp says, "My heart ..." I fully intend to put the rest of my own sentiment inside. My husband is a pastor and always appreciates a play on words!

This last one is the one I've had nearly finished for about two weeks. I just sat down the other day to finish the closure so I could share it with you.
But first, let me tell you that this doily wrap was totally my friend's idea. I had picked up a pack of these doilies (20 or so to a pack) at Dollar Tree, knowing I could do something creative with them. (I was thinking baby bibs on cards or a decorative edge over a gift bag ...) Well, when I took a few along for my friend, she showed me her idea of "wrapping" the card with it. It's absolutely perfect for a 4.25 x 5.5" card!

Here it is with the card slid out, although I designed it so that the recipient could actually untie the ribbon and get the card out that way:
That's it for Victorian ladies right now, but I have plenty more images, so I'll probably be sharing more cards sometime.

1 comments:

Susan said...

Great cards! Thanks for the info about the Nestabilities too. I'll have to check into getting some.

 
;