Saturday, July 5, 2008

A sketch challenge card and the gift that goes with it

I haven't gotten to do anything creative in my craft room for weeks, at the very least. I was itching to use my new $1 acrylic sets from Michael's, so I took some time last night, used a sketch challenge (so half the work was already done) and made a card to go with a gift for my next set of week-long guests. The sketch challenge is Taylor VanBruggen's Cupcake Challenge #23. You can see the sketch by clicking on the link. (I wasn't sure if I was supposed to post it here or not.)

I had to change the sketch a little bit to suit my needs. First of all, I turned it on its side. And then I omitted the middle band since I didn't have any coordinating ribbon. All in all, I was very happy with how it turned out.
If you know me, you know I don't use fancy supplies. I'd love to, but I can't bring myself to pay the prices. So I just used decorative paper from Dollar Tree, my $1 Studio G acrylic stamps, dollar store gold glitter glue, watercolor pencils and regular colored pencils. It's not going into anyone's scrapbook, so I'm not worried about archival quality.

I debated whether I should put the gold glitter glue on the sand, and now I'm glad I did. It shimmers just like the sand on our beaches and gives it a textured look at the same time.


Now, for the gift that it goes with ... When I made the card, I obviously chose colors that would coordinate with this:


Target $1-spot Creme Brulee bath salts (I picked them up at Goodwill, still sealed, for $0.10 each), a beach-themed sign and matching spiral-bound journal from Michael's $1 section. In case you can't read it, the sign says, "Heaven is a little closer in a cottage by the sea." (The notebook is hidden behind the sign, but I faced it backwards so it could be seen when you turn the packaging around.)

And here it is, side by side. I didn't attach the card yet because I want to write a note to my guests on the back, and it's a little easier to only attach it once. :) I'll be punching a hole in the top lefthand corner of the card and threading it through the ribbon.
And in case you're wondering why I chose this theme, we live close to the ocean.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the theme of your card and gift! It's hard these days to afford gifts for others. You have some lovely ideas on a budget that are of beautiful quality, thank you for sharing.

Taylor said...

Very cute! I love how you flipped the sketch horizontally! Thanks for playing!

 
;