Friday, July 25, 2008

Frugal gift sets

Did I ever mention that I'm a packrat? :) I instinctively collect things, especially things that I see have gift potential.

When I recently decided it was high time to organize our storage closets (the only storage in our house), I found a hodge podge of little things I had collected for gifts ... little things that, in themselves, wouldn't quite be enough. So I laid everything out on my guest room bed and challenged myself to come up with gift sets. I was a little surprised to find a few recurring themes, things that actually fit nicely together. So here they are ...

First off is my prayer journal gift set that includes a never-used prayer journal from Janette Oke's daughter ($0.25 at Salvation Army), a Glade scented candle (W-G freebie), and a jar of new-in-package bath salts originally from Target $1 Spot ($0.10 at Goodwill): Total paid: $0.35 (This will make a nice door prize for a church ladies' meeting.)

Next up is a package for my friend who loves anything by Karen Kingsbury. It includes Maggie's Miracle by Karen Kingsbury in brand-new condition ($0.05 at Salvation Army), a jar of new-in-package bath salts originally from Target $1 Spot ($0.10 at Goodwill), and a scented tin candle from Michael's ($0.30 on clearance):

Total paid: $0.45 (This will make a great "thinking of you" gift!)
Next up is the general ladies' gift that includes a floral photo album (received at a baby shower and never used), Helen Steiner Rice inspirational flip calendar in like-new condition ($0.05 at Salvation Army), and a jar of new-in-package bath salts originally from Target $1 Spot ($0.10 at Goodwill):
Total paid: $0.15 (This will make another excellent door prize at ladies' meetings.)
And lastly (at least for now), is the "atmosphere of home" gift set which includes: Dwelling: Living Fully from the Space You Call Home by Mary Beth Lagerborg (a great book I bought for myself, read, then decided I didn't have space to store long-term - $3.00 at Ollie's), a combination photo frame/pillar candle holder in brand-new condition ($0.25 at local thrift store), and a pillar candle (I've had for years and never used ... essentially FREE):

Total paid: $3.25

This doesn't include the butterfly set I just put together for my Secret Sister which included a butterfly-printed basket ($0.50), butterfly inspirational photo frame with store tags still attached ($0.50), kitchen towel (a freebie from a bridal shower) and matching candle (W-G freebie). Total cost to me: $1.00.

It also doesn't include the two Thomas Kinkade gift sets that I put together with coffee mug sets ($2.44 on clearance) and devotional books ($0.05 at Salvation Army). I already have them in a gift bag that isn't clear. Total cost each: $2.45.

So what will I use these for? Well, I've noted some ideas with several of them, but I've also thought about putting them aside for last-minute gifts or hostess gifts. Since I already packaged them, they're ready to give.

0 comments:

 
;