Thursday, July 24, 2008

Organizing my pan collection

I took a cake decorating class about two years ago, and I've been decorating cakes ever since. I have been picking up shaped pans as I find them at yard sales and thrift stores for $1 or less.

I don't buy every one that I see, just the ones I know I'll have a use for. Still, I have quite the collection.

Up to this point, they were shoved in two large plastic totes. It was all we could think of at the time. But I got to looking at them and noticed that almost all the shaped pans have a hanging hook on them. Since we store them in the storage closets (which have nothing on the walls), it made sense to try to go vertical with them. I originally thought of a pegboard, but my husband insisted no one would mind if we just put nails into the walls of the closet to hang them. After I thought about it for a few moments, I had to agree. Who is going to see all those nails if we would happen to move at some point? Who is going to care?

So here's what one wall of my storage closet now looks like:

I like it! I still have some pans (that didn't have hanging hooks) and accessories in a large plastic tote, but I'm down to just one tote. Another bonus is that I can just look at the wall and see what I have.

I think this is one of my favorite organizing projects in a long time!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

What a great idea! I just got my first pan - a Tinker Bell head. My neice is really into her. I have some decorating tips - but this will be the first time I actually put them to real use. Hopefully it will turn out okay.

jemilyea said...

Organized and decorative!

Mother said...

Great idea! Maybe you could draw an outline for each pan so you know where they belong. You may not need that, though because you will probably only use one pan at a time.

 
;