Monday, May 3, 2010

Gift Tags

I can't tell you how many times I've needed a simple tag to say, "This gift is for you!" I tend to make only cards, but I don't always need a full card. So I challenged myself to come up with a few tags.

I looked through my scraps and came up with the back panel to the file folder I used for my thrift store shopping organizer in this post. File folders are perfect for tags because they're nice and sturdy.

So the first thing I did was cut it into 6 sections that are 3x5". That's a nice, large tag.

Half of them had this lace and two-toned print already printed on them, so they were super-easy:


I used my scallop decorative ruler to make the template for the top of these tags. I really liked how it turned out!

I used a decorative scrap from a magazine to make the flowers. After I punched them with my Marvy daisy punch, I ran them through the Cuttlebug with the Textiles embossing folder. Then, to make them really shine, I patted them onto my Versamark pad and dipped them in clear embossing powder. They look really neat! The flower centers are just black cardstock that I treated exactly the same.

To finish them, all I had to do was stamp the sentiment! It's a SU! sentiment, but I don't know the name of the set. It was a set I got at the thrift store, and it wasn't labelled. These are perfect for putting on the guest bed with a stack of handmade notecards.

But I also need tags to put on top of my gift bags so people know specifically who the gifts are for or from. Sometimes you don't need a whole card to do that, either.

This was also easy, although a little more time-intensive since I ran paper through my Cuttlebug multiple times.

I cut out scallop circles with my Nestabilities in a dark maroon, vellum, and off-white (a recycled office file folder). I ran each of them through the Cuttlebug with the Textiles embossing folder, then cut slits to make them into flowers. I stacked and glued them, then added a button to the center for a nice, full flower.

The sentiment is from a stamp set I got at Ollies for $0.99 awhile back. I think it's made by Delta, but I'm not positive on that.

As a finishing touch, I inked the edges of the tag. I recently watched a youtube video of someone sponging the edges of their card, and I really liked the effect. I used a makeup sponge instead of a regular car-washing sponge like she used, but I got pretty much the same effect. I used regular pigment ink.

You may be wondering how it's different than simply swiping the edges along an inkpad. First of all, it blends the color in further on the edges. And secondly, you get more shade variation this way. I really like it, and I'll be doing more of it!

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Very pretty.....even prettier in real life (as usual!).

 
;