Thursday, May 20, 2010

Birdwatcher's Notebook

I've had this idea running around in my head for months now, and I finally figured out a logical way to put it together.

Do you remember the Hampton Arts stamp sets I got at Big Lots for $2 each? Well, there was a "Take Note" set (Post Script Date/Flourishes) that I thought would make a neat birdwatcher's journal. It has stamps that say "Observations," a "Date" circle, a "Time" circle, and even a "Location" circle. I immediately thought of a birdwatcher's journal!

The only thing I couldn't think of was how to make it into something reasonable ... not some 100-page monstrosity that I would get tired of stamping those "Time," "Date," and "Locations" into.

Well, my dilemma was solved on Monday when my husband brought home a long-arm Stanley Bostitch stapler from the thrift store ($5). I've wanted one of those for the longest time because I just love making little notebooks to write in. (Just ask my parents - I've been doing that since I was a kid.)

But anyway, it all finally came together in this 20-page mini notebook (4.25 x 5.5"):



This gorgeous bird print is a copy of an old engraving from The Graphics Fairy. To closely mat the Nestie, I used Becca's tip. (Trust me - you want to watch that video!)

I made two versions of this notebook, only because I cut the paper wrong on the first one. :) Oh well - it worked out!

I made two with insides like this:



Since there are 20 pages, there is room for 40 observations.

Then I made one with an inside like this (it opens vertically):



This one only holds 20 observations, since I couldn't figure out a nice-looking way to add the journaling circles on the facing pages.

These are simple enough to do on your own (if you don't mind stamping the circles 40 times for each notebook), but I've loaded them into my Etsy shop if you're interested, too. :) Enjoy!

0 comments:

 
;