Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Paper Mache Box #2

This is the second of the paper mache boxes I've altered, and it's also a sneak peek at next week's Wednesday challenge.

This turned out even nicer than I envisioned, and I'm thrilled with the results! This box is the next size down from the box I posted yesterday, but it's certainly not tiny.

I did this one in a musical theme. To be honest, I started out with a particular friend in mind. Her name is Joy and she is a fabulous musician. I just so happened to have picked up this canvasy "ribbon" that has "Joy" written all over it - literally. :) Since I had older sheet music that matched it, I decided to create a box for her. Now I like it so much I don't know if I want to give it away ...



I used the same piece of music for the whole box. It's something a musician might notice. ;) The music is titled "The Return of the Shepherd", and I chose to link that together with "Joy" via a Bible verse -- Psalm 40:3, "He hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise to our God." When we become a Christian ("the return of the Shepherd"), we receive "joy" in our hearts - and a "new song"!

I printed the Scripture verse onto vellum, cut it with my Nestabilities Labels 1, and matted it onto the black cardstock (also cut with my Nestabilities Labels 1).

I've had both roses on hand for several years. An elderly friend (who recently passed away) gave them to me. I added some silk leaves I had on hand from tearing apart thrift store silk roses (to use on cards). Of course, the little violin came from the same yard sale as the ribbon and box. I angled the large rose and violin toward each other slightly, which is why I added that smaller ribbon rose underneath the violin.

And here is a better view of the side of the box, where you can see the sponging I did with red ink around the edges. It was the perfect finishing touch!



As I said, I love this box sooo much! I think I'm going to have to hang on to it for a few months and enjoy it before I can let it go. :)

3 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Oh Wow! You outdid yourself this time, Christa! That box is simply gorgeous! (I secretly wondered WHAT on earth you would use those violins on --- now I know! Beautiful!)

Marla said...

Wow what a beautiful box!!

lil-paper-pixie said...

Thank you for your lovely comment on my splitcoast card, this box is amazing, I would love to do something like this but it looks far too difficult...stunning.x

 
;