Monday, May 24, 2010

New, inexpensive embossing plates

My friend and I went to Michaels on Friday and I found some really neat, inexpensive embossing plates. They look like brick and woodgrain. I used them both on this little barn to show you what they look like:



I don't have the brick one perfected yet. As you can see, my "sandwich" is still too thick because it breaks my paper. I'm experimenting, and I'll let you know when I come up with a combination that works.

But here's the packaging:



Buff Goldman Charm City Cakes Texture Tiles. They're 5-7/8" x 7-5/8", and they fit through the Cuttlebug without trimming! There are two textures in each package, and I think there are a total of four packages available. (I only picked up one, in case it wouldn't work.)

Want to know where I found them? How about the cake decorating section? :) They were on an endcap, and they were only $4.99 for the pack. With my 50% coupon, I paid just $2.50, but they're a great price even at full price.

Apparently they were designed for adding texture to fondant and cake icing. I just might have to try that, too, sometime!

At any rate, I was very pleased with the woodgrain, since I got it to work great. [As I said, I haven't found the right thickness for the brick one yet, but I'll love it when I do.] I thought about inking the plate with brown ink before I embossed the cardstock, but I haven't tried it yet. I bet it gives a really convincing wood effect, since it will get the ink into those little grooves!

So here's the sandwich that worked for the woodgrain (every Cuttlebug is different, so you may have to experiment a little - don't force something that's too thick!):

A plate
woodgrain plate
cardstock
plumber's gasket (1/8" thick
C plate

Have fun!

1 comments:

Cindy Loven said...

That is Duff Goldman and he has a show on tv about making cakes...he is pretty neat...

~C~

 
;