Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I Challenge You Wednesday: Sewing

My friend picked this challenge, and once again it was a challenge for me. You would think it would be easy since I sew quite a bit, but for some reason combining sewing with cardmaking just wasn't coming to me. (It might have gone better if my sewing machine was working and I could have used that, but oh well!)

Between funerals and sickness (which I'm still dealing with), I haven't had a lot of time in the craft room the last few weeks. My inspiration was MIA for this first card ...




Supplies: stamp (Inkadinkado); paper (All My Memories, Making Memories); felt coaster (Michaels $1 section); Nestabilities Labels 1; dew drops; Versamark and clear embossing powder.

You probably can't even see the sewing I did. :) I sewed the felt coaster to the Labels 1 Nestabilities shape. If you look really close and look for the contrasting green thread, you'll see it. To make up for that, I chose this background paper that has been sitting in my stash for several years (by All My Memories). It looks like embroidery, so I thought it fit in quite well with this challenge.

This isn't my favorite card ever, but it got me started on other cards that I actually did like.



Supplies: stamp (Inkadinkado); paper (Serendipity by ATD, Making Memories, The Paper Company); ink (SU! Chocolate Chip); buttons (SEI); Nestabilities Labels 8; embossing folder (CB D'vine Swirls).

I racked my brain to think of what I had that would work for stitching, and then I remembered that I had wanted to make some quilt cards. These cards are great because you can use up your scraps without your card looking like it. In fact, I pulled all the tiny scraps out of my pink/red bin to match up patterned papers for these next few cards. The "stitching" is just done with a permanent marker and ruler.



Supplies: stamp (Inkadinkado); paper (Making Memories, The Paper Company); ink (SU! Chocolate Chip); Nestabilities Labels 8; embossing folder (CB D'vine Swirls); buttons (SEI).

This is the same overall design as the previous one, just with different papers.

A little tip about cutting the "quilt" with the Nestabilities: I used a frame that was leftover from the last time I cut a Nestabilities shape. Underneath that, I cut an index card to the right size (4 x 5-1/4") and glued the individual squares onto that. Then I glued the frame on top of it and embossed. It only looks like I cut the quilted part with the Nestabilities, and it helps immensely with keeping those little squares in place. [I hope that makes sense.]



Supplies: stamp (Inkadinkado); paper (Making Memories, The Paper Company); MS doily lace border punch; buttons (SEI); embossing folder (CB D'vine Swirls); Versamark and black embossing powder.

I really like this last one, too! It was inspired by this card from Splitcoaststampers. I would never have put these colors together on my own, but I like them. It's reversible paper, so I just flipped every other square to get an easy color combination.

By the way, I actually debossed the pattern on this card, and I think it looks a bit more like quilting this way. I wish I had thought of it on the previous cards!

That's all for me today. Just wait until you see what my friend made! I got a peek at a few of her challenge cards last week when I was at her house, and they were gorgeous!

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Oh, Christa -- I LOVE those quilt cards!!! What a perfect design to include stitching on. The color combos are great, and all the little details add so much! Great work!!

 
;