Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It's Done!!!



First of all, remember that this is my first attempt at machine-quilting a full-size quilt on a domestic sewing machine. Any experienced quilter could have a heyday pointing out all my mistakes, if they were so inclined. :) (Not that I know any mean-spirited quilters; I'm just saying ... )



I designed the quilt around the seashell fabric (actually a repurposed sheet), which was my whole inspiration for making a quilt for my sister-in-law. She recently redecorated her bedroom in a beach theme, and I thought of her when I saw it.



I kept the basic design pretty simple so the seashells would stand out better. I pulled colors from the seashell fabric, as well as the colors I know she uses in her room (which happened to be just about the same).

In retrospect, I doubt I would have used quite as much black if I had done a quilt mock-up on the computer first. Since I didn't know how to do that when I started piecing this, I'll just chalk it up to a lesson learned. I'm still pretty happy with it, mistakes and all.



Here it is on our bed, since my sister-in-law's birthday isn't for two more weeks. Our bed is a Queen size, and hers is a Full size, so it should fit hers exactly like I had planned. Fortunately for me, the "plaid" fabric came with matching pillowcases, so I'll be giving her those to go with it. If I have some extra time between now and then, I may think about designing two pillow shams, but I'm not planning on it at this point. I designed the quilt to be big enough to go over the pillows anyway, much like a bedspread.

Since I used cotton and cotton blend sheets for the fabric and backing, I have less than $15 in this whole quilt. Of course, I invested about a month of my life in it, but you really can't put a price tag on that. :)

All in all, I did enjoy it (although I was completely frustrated at times) and it was a great learning experience!

8 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I'm not a quilter - so I don't see any mistakes! Wow! Can't believe you did all that in one month -- must have burnt that midnight oil the entire time! Glad you got it done in time --- love the way the back looks when you get it all done (Please don't think me too weird for liking the back almost more than the front ---I've always liked plain cream or white quilts with quilted designs in them.)

Christa said...

Actually, I had to do this one at the dining room table because it's the only surface big enough to hold the quilt, so I couldn't work on it at night. I wished many times that I could! :) I did devote a lot of hours to it, though.

I'm a huge fan of the backs of quilts, too. I know it's a lot easier to "tie" a quilt, but it wouldn't satisfy me. I just LOVE seeing the needlework on the back.

Madeline said...

I love the needlework that is on the back of quilts . It's a very beautiful quilt!! Nice job!

Julia said...

Great job on the quilting!

jemilyea said...

Congratulations on completing your quilt! I like the mixture of straight lines and diamonds. Are you familiar with Kaffe Fassett's color-saturated quilts? In his books, he often recommends quilting around shapes like you did with the shells.

Christa said...

No, I'm not familiar with Kaffe Fassett. I think I've seen this done on quilts before and must have remembered it! :) Now I'll have to look up that name ...

Korianne said...

It looks wonderful Sophia! I hope your sister love it. I can't wait to see more of your quilting! :)

Bellgirl said...

What a beautiful design, congratulations!

 
;