Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Homemade Gift: 18" Doll Jean Wrap Skirts

Yesterday I shared several reversible wrap skirts for 18" dolls. (Remember, the pattern is available at You Can Make This. It's not my original pattern.) I made a few more, but I figured they deserved a post all of their own.



I had some worn-out jeans in my cut-up stack, so I cut a wrap skirt from the top of each leg (adult size only, since the kid sizes are too small). As I contemplated sewing those flat seams with yet another seam for hemming, I realized that I could "rag" the edges and not worry about making it reversible.

It worked wonderfully! What you see above is the skirt before I put it through the wash (to rag it).



Here are the two of them after going through the wash. Here's another time-saving tip for you: The one on the left was the easiest because I simply used pinking shears on the edges. There was no clipping involved, and I actually liked it the best.

Of course, you'll want to sew 1/4" around all the skirt edges before attempting to rag the skirt, or you'll have a huge mess on your hands!



Here is the skirt on the doll after it was washed.



And the second one. It makes a big difference, doesn't it?

I've listed some of these doll clothes in my Etsy shop, in case you're interested. Enjoy! :)

2 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Cute! Cute! Cute!
I think this is M's favorite one of all! She'd been asking me to make her a jean skirt for Felicity, so your gift came just at the right moment!!

Madeline said...

You've been awarded!!

http://professionallyinsanem.blogspot.com/2011/01/ive-been-given-award.html

 
;