Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Homemade Gift: Reversible Adult Pillowcase Aprons

You've probably seen the idea of making aprons out of pillowcases before, but I thought I'd share a few of mine with you.

My sister-in-law has a job slicing meat for a bulk food store. She always has to wear an apron, but she's allowed to wear her own aprons. If you knew my sister-in-law, you'd know that she enjoys clothes, so when I showed her some apron ideas I had been thinking about, she told me that she would love to have some pretty aprons to wear to work.

Since her birthday is coming up, I immediately went to work creating as many as I could with what I had on hand.



This is just a basic chef's apron, but it's reversible. This side is made from a king-size pillowcase, taking advantage of the hemmed pillowcase edge at the bottom. The pocket is from the decorative edging of a vintage sheet that I used on the back.



See? I got to use more of that decorative sheet edging that I have fallen in love with. For this side, I made a pocket out of the fabric from the other side. Again, I took advantage of an already-hemmed edge (although this one was the leftovers of a sheet from my scrap bin instead of a pillowcase).



This is another design that she loved - the same basic chef's apron, but with a circular ruffle at the bottom. (It's the same concept as a circle skirt, only it's not as big.) I would have made that ruffle a little bit longer, but this was made with two regular-sized pillowcases, and I only had so much fabric to work with.



Here's the other side, made completely reversible.

These were a lot of fun to make, and they have the advantage of being a lot easier to assemble than a traditional chef's apron that uses bias binding at the edges. For this, you just make two apron fronts and then sew them together, right sides together.

Another advantage of these aprons is that you don't have to buy a pattern. If you already have a chef's apron on hand, trace it for your pattern. If you don't have one on hand, you can probably wing it. The rest is pretty self-explanatory.

Of course, you could buy fabric for these aprons, too. You'll need about 1 yard each of two different but coordinating fabrics. That's always an option, but it will cost a little (sometimes a lot) more. Each of these aprons cost me $1 to make, and it's really hard to beat that. In fact, the yellow one didn't even cost that much since the vintage sheet was just scraps from a quilt project!

Enjoy - and please don't tell my sister-in-law yet! :)

2 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Very nice! I like the top one best - that soft yellow fabric is so pretty.

Julie H said...

They turned out really cute! One of these days I want to make a bunch of apron:)

 
;