Friday, January 7, 2011

Homemade Gift: Tea Towels from a Tablecloth

I'll have some more doll clothes to show sometime next week (I'm working on some outfits), but for now I have another project to share with you.

I was recently at a Salvation Army store that had 50% off all blue tags in the whole store. That's rare around here, where it's only the clothing that's on sale (if you're lucky enough to find a store with colored tag sales).

So you know I went looking through the sheets and such ... and found a cotton tablecloth. My mom and sister have bought some tea towels made with this kind of fabric from Pampered Chef, I think. They're not the nubby kind of tea towels, but the fine-textured cotton. I'm sure you'll know which kind I mean when I show you the pictures.

Anyway, it was a blue tag and ended up being something like $0.75. I couldn't pass it up, so I bought it and made eight tea towels out of it. That's less than $0.10 a tea towel! I don't currently need any, so I'm putting these in my gift stash. I can always pull them out if I need them before I give them away! :)

Here's a quick rundown on how to miter the corners, in case you're interested in making some, too.



First of all, press down your whole hem allowance. I was doing 1" hems, so I pressed all the edges at 1". Then, on each corner, you want to fold a triangle in right where the pressed lines meet. It should look like the picture above.



Then you snip off the very bottom of the triangle (not too much!), since you don't want raw edges peeking out of your nicely-mitered corner.



Fold under your hem allowance on one side, making sure that you're tucking it in at the corner, too.



Repeat for the second side, and you should have a nicely-mitered corner.

Tablecloths are hemmed around the edges, so I took advantage of that, too. If it already had one of the sides hemmed, I ripped open the seam only enough to be able to miter the corner.

These tea towels were about 14x23" finished. They weren't exactly the same dimensions as my mother's (I had my niece measure those for me), but they were close. You can fudge the numbers just a little and you won't really notice it.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

 
;