Thursday, January 13, 2011

Homemade Gift: Fancy Apron

I made another apron for my sister-in-law. This is a fancy design that I admired from an Etsy seller but wanted to make in my own fabrics. I checked out the seller's shop, but she doesn't sell the pattern and it's not a commercial pattern, either. (I checked all the big names.) So ... I did some more reverse engineering and figured it out myself. :)



The hardest part of this apron was the neckline. I had never done a neckline like this before, and I spent two whole days figuring it out. In the end, I'm probably the only person that does it the way I did it. I used a combination of stay-stitching, clipping, ironing and sewing onto the next layer. (Does that make any sense?)

The picture makes this look like it's a solid yellow and solid white apron, but it's not. What looks like white is actually a white/yellow gingham from my first quilt project. This was also made with all scraps, so it was essentially free ... if you don't count my time figuring out the pattern. :)

I love this style, and I'll probably be making more of them as I find fabrics that I'd like to put together.

0 comments:

 
;