Thursday, January 6, 2011

Homemade Gift: 18" Doll Long-Sleeve T-shirts

Yes, there are more doll clothes today! I can see why some adults get hooked on making clothes for these dolls. It's almost as much fun as making outfits for yourself - or your daughter! :)

I don't know about you, but I've always been a little intimidated by knit fabrics. The stretchiness has always made me think twice about sewing with them. Well, no more. Check this out:



I have to say that this is one of the easiest shirts I've ever made for anyone - myself included. I made this one with a t-shirt that was stained beyond rescue for anything but the smallest projects. In fact, if you look close enough you might find a pink and blue smudge near the seams of this one. My daughter loved it, though, so it was too cute to pass up. I just centered the front of the t-shirt around the small heart design on the original t-shirt.



Here is one that I made from one of my son's old t-shirts. It had a design on it, but I managed to make two of them by working around that design. One of them has already been a gift to a friend's daughter. I let her choose an iron-on applique to go on the front, and she was pretty happy with it.

T-shirts are so basic that you could probably make them without a pattern if you really wanted to. The sleeves are the hardest thing to figure out, but there are ways around that (i.e. don't set-in the sleeves). If you're just making them as a gift, here's a free pattern from Liberty Jane, but you can't sell any of them.

I'm working on a t-shirt pattern of my own so I can offer them in my Etsy shop, though, so keep checking back. I have the perfect fabrics in mind for outfits! :)

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

These are really cute....my daughter is begging for more of them!

 
;