Monday, February 9, 2009

Embossing with a Cuttlebug and plastic "doily"

My grandmother gave me two of these plastic "doilies" a few months ago, and I had no idea what to do with them. But after I got my Cuttlebug, I wondered if it was possible to emboss with them. I tried it out this weekend, and I'm very pleased with the results.

First of all, I cut the doily smaller so it would fit onto my cards. The first one is a regular 4.25 x 5.5" card. I just cut out the center of the doily and used that. I realize I covered up a lot of the design with the flower, but it's a very nice embossing - just as deep as the embossing folders you can buy from Provo Craft!

After I embossed it, I lightly rubbed over it with brown chalk to accent the design. Then I added my colored sunflower, shaped the side edge, added a sentiment and ribbon, and it was done. I really like this one!




For the second one, I used what was left of the outside of the doily to emboss a frame for a square card scene. (This card measures 5.5" square.) Again, I lightly rubbed the embossing with chalk to make it stand out against the white card base.



I used my new Martha Stewart holiday label clear stamp set for the deer and trees (they're the whole reason I got the stamp set). I stamped them in Versamark and then went over them with chalks. To finish the card, I simply added decorative corners (Vintage die) cut from cereal-box cardboard. How's that for an inexpensive card that will thrill my brother-in-law who is an avid hunter?

If you have a Cuttlebug, you're probably wondering what "sandwich" I used for these. You might have to play around with your own machine and adjust a layer or two, but this is what worked for my machine: A plate, B plate, 1 rectangle of a silicone baking sheet, the doily, the cardstock, 1 rectangle of a silicone baking sheet, B plate. As always, don't force anything through your Cuttlebug or you may end up breaking something. Take a layer off, if necessary. Or add a layer of thin cardboard if it's not thick enough.

What other "nontraditional" household items have you embossed with? I'm always looking for more ideas! :)

1 comments:

jemilyea said...

I've been enjoying seeing all your new cards. Plastic doilies! Who would have ever thought of that!

Thanks for the two lovely handmade cards you sent me! I received the teacup card before I saw the pictures online, so I had to go back later and inspect mine carefully. I hadn't realized you had used recycled cardboard on it!

 
;