Thursday, April 14, 2011

Quilt with Me: Day Four

Day four of my quilting project happened to be our family day. Since our guests were staying over for the day, we took them to some thrift stores and ate out. That doesn't mean I didn't get any quilting in, though. Once we got back home, I was able to get quite a bit done. The first thing I did was spray-basted the rest of the quilt squares. Then I quilted them and squared them up (made sure they measured the right dimensions and trimmed with my rotary trimmer if necessary). I couldn't go any further until I ironed those joining strips in half, so I tackled all the smaller strips that I would need to join the squares into rows. Lastly, I joined one row of squares together This is the first time I've actually remembered to cut my batting 1/2" smaller than my squares (so that there is no batting in the joining seams), so it was a treat not to have bulky seams when I joined these! :) Stay tuned for more progress!

3 comments:

Shirley said...

I have not done the quilt-as-you-go... so I am having trouble figuring out how you are attaching the squares together. It looks like each square is actually a "mini quilt" in that it has a front quilted through batting to the backing.

How do you stitch adjoining squares together without a raw edge showing somewhere?

Christa said...

Shirley,

I'll try to add an explanation to the actual post since this can get lengthy. :) Let me know if it still doesn't make sense, okay?

Christa said...

Oops! I added it to the "Day Five" post instead. You'll want to check there. :)

 
;