Friday, May 6, 2011

Homemade Gift: Guest Book



Supplies: stamps (Inkadinkadoo Coffee House Alphabet); paper (ATD, image from recycled Karla Dornacher book); ink (black StazOn).

I have been trying to keep up with pastor's wives from my conference this year, with a goal of contacting each of them at least once. Since we live so far from the rest of our conference churches, sometimes I feel a little disconnected from what's going on with the rest of our churches. However, I know that parsonage life can be stressful at times, whether I know the details or not. So I've been doing my own little "encouragement ministry". (Our conference isn't large, so 1-2 packages each week will cover everyone in one year's time.)

I enjoy making things, but I don't always have people to give them to. This is the perfect outlet for these type of projects. I've already sent out aprons and tea towels, but I hit on this idea the other day and I'm thoroughly excited about it. In fact, I'm so excited about it that I've turned out four of them each day for the last two days.

I have lots of composition notebooks from the back-to-school sales, and I love altering them into something pretty. This happens to be a guest book, something that every pastor's wife (at least the ones I know) has. If she doesn't need it for a guest book, she can use it to keep track of guests' food preferences, allergies, or diet restrictions ... or menus she has used in the past ... or any of the other details we keep track of in the parsonage. :)



And here's the inside cover. I decorated both the front and back inside covers the same.

I was able to make this using the recycled book image, two sheets of decorative 12x12" papers, and the composition notebook. The back cover is done in the stripe you see to the left.

I'm pretty excited about how these are turning out, so expect to see quite a few in the next few days/weeks! :)

I'm linking to







 http://www.thethriftyhome.com

5 comments:

Pamela said...

This is a perfect gift for pastor's wives. I love your idea of contacting them all once this year. Doesn't it just fill your heart with joy to bless others?

May your Sabbath be blessed with God's presence.

Pamela

Esther Asbury said...

What a great idea -- what a blessing this kind of ministry is! Wish I had the extra time to do something like this too....Seems I'm always running and never catching up!
BTW - the guest book is beautiful!

Inger Harding said...

This is such a BEAUTIFUL guest book Sophia!!
Lovely image, so pretty :)

Have a lovely day!
♥ Inger

Faith said...

Beautiful! And great idea to connect too.

I have seen these elsewhere too and thought about doing some. ... What adhesive do you use? Do you trim to the edge of the cover or fold the cover over the edges?

Sure do enjoy seeing the results of your creativity!

Luv ya! =)

Christa said...

I personally prefer my ATG gun for adhesive. I think I've tried everything else on the market, and nothing works like ATG (unless it happens to be ScorTape, which is a lot pricier).

As for the edges, you simply trim them flush with the edge of the book.

 
;