Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mary Engelbreit decorative house

I found a bunch of these papier-mache-style houses at Goodwill for an average of $0.40 each. They originally came from Michaels and cost $3.99.

I'm planning to use 8 or 9 of them for a Cousin Camp craft this year, but I had enough to play around with some of them. (Not only did I want to play, I also wanted to create a few samples to get the kids' creative juices going at Cousin Camp!)
The inspiration for this house came from the red and white polka-dot paper. It's some of the new paper I got at Tuesday Morning. When I looked at it, I immediately thought of Mary Engelbreit. So I browsed through all the mini artwork I have of hers and decided on this piece since it fit the "home" theme so well. (What mother can't relate to this?)

I painted the bottom of the house white and then added the image to the front. I used a Martha Stewart border punch to make the decorative trim at the bottom of the roof. The flowers and leaves were made with Cuttlekids dies. I finished everything off by inking the edges with my black inkpad.

This one won't be around for Cousin Camp, though. I already gave it to my friend, the very first person I thought of when I was making it. She loves Mary Engelbreit, and she's a stamping buddy, so I knew she'd appreciate it. :)

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I love my Mary Engelbreit house! Her stuff is so bright and cheerful. Your creation goes perfect in my Mary Engelbreit laundry room! Thanks!!!!

 
;