Monday, January 28, 2013

Hello Little Kitty Hats for Charity (and my dd)


I'm using up yarn from my recent thrift store haul: bulky white and worsted pink acrylic with no ballbands. Since the white yarn is bulky, I only used one strand. (The pattern calls for the yarn to be held double.)

When I first started this special stitch, I thought I wasn’t going to like it. It adds quite a bit of bulk. But after working a few rows, I really do like it because of the bulk. Most crocheted hats aren’t as warm as this one because the stitching is more open. This special stitch helps to keep things nice and tight and warm.

I used a smaller hook (H) than the pattern recommends, since my I and J hooks have gone AWOL ... but I shouldn’t have. I made the size 7-10 (years), but my petite 7-year-old daughter ccouldn’t get it on her head. Oh well, some younger girl will love this!


Take Two: My daughter is absolutely in love with this hat! She wears it almost everywhere we go, and she didn't take it off the entire day when I first gave it to her.

I used remnants of Hobby Lobby’s I Love This! yarn in white and black (so soft!), with yellow and pink unknown acrylic scraps.

I changed the hat size and hook size this time in hopes that it would fit. That means I went up to the teen/adult hat size. It fits!

I only used one strand of yarn this time because I was afraid it would get too tight again. I think I’ll try another one (for charity) with two strands to see how it comes out.

Want to make your own? It's a free pattern on Ravelry: Hello Little Kitty by Jennifer Pionk.

3 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Your dd looks adorable in her Hello Kitty hat --- you did an awesome job on those!

angie said...

Would you consider making a bunny hat for my daughter? Love the finished kitty one, but we are planning a bunny bday party for her.

Christa said...

Angie - Absolutely! If you e-mail me the details (when you need it, your dd's approximate head size, preferred colors, your preferred project budget) at the "Contact Me" link, we can work something out.

 
;