Friday, January 18, 2013

Dishcloths: In Support of Hobby Lobby (and Mother's Day)

During the first week of the new year, Hobby Lobby had their dishcloth cotton yarn on sale for $2.66 a skein. One of my crafting resolutions this year is to shop mostly at Hobby Lobby and support them all I can, so this was the perfect way to start 2013.

I can't say enough good things about this yarn. It's wonderfully soft - so much nicer to work with than the Sugar 'n Cream yarn I've always used before!

And wow - the colors!! They have the perfect shades to match my Pfaltzgraff Tea Rose kitchen, and their variegated colors work up beautifully with the most amazing effects (check out the one on the right below) and no ugly pooling.


I mentioned earlier that I love round dishcloths, and this is a pattern I've been wanting to make for awhile now. It's a free one, and it's quite addicting. Check it out: The Cotton Dishcloth (once removed or dressed up)

I didn't have to change and cut my yarn to get that fantastic pinwheel effect on the righthand one. It's actually the pink and green variegated yarn (all from the very same skein and in the order it came off the skein) that worked perfectly with this pattern (thanks to short rows). I can't wait to try it in different variegations!


I mentioned the colors this yarn comes in, but you really need to check them out for yourself. They are so nice and bright and cheerful! This is the first of many dishcloths I'm making to go with our church's Mother's Day gifts this year. I'll have some more dishcloths to share in the coming months.

4 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Love your pretty dishcloths -- especially the variegated one!
I have enjoyed using Hobby's Lobby's cotton too, and just finished a blue and yellow dishcloth set (posting next week).

sharon :) said...

Love the knitted round cloth! I have it on my needles, but how do I finish it off? I am on round 6, row 20 and the instructions say nothing except to 'draw up the center and sew together'. Um how do I get row 20 off the needles? Do I bind off then whip stitch it together? I am not an experienced knitter at all and this has me stumped.

I appreciate any help you can offer!

sharon :)

Christa said...

Sharon - Yes, you have the right idea. Bind it off, then sew it together with the other edge.

Once that's done, you draw the beginning tail through the center stitches (evenly all around) and pull it tight. I like to weave it through the circle about three times, then I weave it through a few stitches going up the cloth before cutting the tail.

HTH!

sharon :) said...

Thanks for the 'finishing' instructions! I was afraid to do anything with it until I understood what was happening.

sharon :)

 
;