Friday, January 4, 2013

Piano Scarf


This is a gift I knit for my children's soon-to-be piano teacher. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to make it for her.

It's worked in double-knit, so it's nice and thick. I used Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn for the white and Red Heart Soft for the black. I already had the black on hand or I would have bought Hobby Lobby's black, too.

The keys are actually larger than life, so to knit a whole keyboard would yield a scarf so long you'd probably trip over it trying to wear it. As a result, I simply knit it until it was about the right length, ending after a full octave. I ended up with 42 keys.

I discovered that knitting Portuguese-style is very conducive to double knitting. It's probably easier than the other ways.

If you'd like to knit this, too, you can find the free pattern on Ravelry. It's called Piano/Harpsichord Scarf (double knit) by Thomas Duncan.

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

What a unique scarf -- don't think I've ever seen one quite like it! I'm sure the piano teacher will enjoy your pretty creation!

 
;