Friday, January 25, 2013

Monkey Hat for Charity


I found another (free) cute hat pattern to use with my newly-acquired stash of thrift store yarn. This one is called, quite obviously, Monkey Hat. It's crocheted, so if you're not a knitter, this one might interest you.

As I was crocheting, I thought it was turning out pretty big, but I wasn’t able to try it on one of my kids until I had finished it. Well, it’s huge on my 7-year-old and 9-year-old. It covers their eyebrows. Hopefully there will be a kid with a huge head where this gets donated ... :)

I got perfect gauge according to the pattern, so next time I'll only do rows 6-10 instead of rows 6-15 before starting the earflaps. That would make a lot more sense, making it the same size as the other hats I’ve made for kids recently.

Other than the sizing issue, I absolutely adore the pattern. The facial details aren’t fussy to embroider - I only “embroidered” the smile, and the spaces around the crocheting made that a cinch. I’ll definitely be making more of these!

If you've ever thought these hats were too fussy with too much sewing-on, you might want to rethink that. I'm not a patient person by nature, but this was certainly within my comfort zone of "fussiness".

P.S. Yes, I've been distracted with my knitting and crocheting this week, in case you missed me. The upside to that is that I have gobs of projects to share with you!

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

What an adorable little monkey hat! You're depleting that huge stack of yarn rather nicely!

 
;