Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Owl Hats for Charity (and my own kids)


A few weeks ago, my husband found gobs of yarn at our local Salvation Army for $5. Being the fantastic husband that he is, he picked it all up for me. It's enough to fill the top of my guest bed, which is a full-size bed -- and it's stacked several skeins high at that! I've since been using it like crazy. :)

One of my goals is to do a lot of charity knitting with it, so this was my first charity project. There was a lot of yellow, brown and orange. Fortunately for me, I found an adorable free pattern called Crochet Owl Hats.

I've never been a fan of lots of "sewing up" after I knit or crochet anything, so I wasn't so sure about these hats. But after I made one, I realized that it's really quite simple, and I'm not as bad at it as I had feared.

I made a few more, but three of them were immediately claimed by my kids and their friend who was visiting for the day ...


Since those colors turned out so nice, I'm working on more in different colors.


So far I've been able to get another pink one crocheted for my charity project, and I'm hoping to get a few more done soon.

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

What a GREAT use for that huge stack of yarn! Have to confess I didn't see the potential in it that you did --- these hats turned out simply ADORABLE!!!

 
;