Monday, May 23, 2011

Homemade Gift: Dish Towels to Hand Towels

I don't know about you, but at our house, we have little kids who don't pay a lot of attention to the color of towels in the kitchen. You see, we have a certain color and design for our dish towels; everything else (in the kitchen) is a hand towel. It recently came to my attention that my kids were occasionally wiping their hands on my dish towels. Ewwww!!

As a result, I decided to make it easier to distinguish between the two. Now I can tell my kids that the one fastened to the oven door is the hand towel. You can't miss it. :)



I simply used scraps from my scrap bin (that hadn't been cut up into quilt squares yet) for the toppers. You only need small scraps for these.



Then I pulled out my stash of buttons and found coordinating ones.



The last thing I had to do was make the pattern. I can't remember where I read this, but somewhere online a lady recommended using your iron as a template for these toppers. It's perfect!

These towels were a little on the short side, so I went ahead and gathered them at the top to make a longer hand towel. If I were using more traditionally-designed hand towels, I'd gather them in the middle and have both ends hanging down. Of course, you could always cut decorative towels in half and use both ends as separate hand towels; I just like the fullness of using a whole towel in one.

These are super-fast and super-easy. I whipped up the majority of these while I was browning ground beef for a taco supper. Try it - you'll be hooked! :)

When I worked at a small Christian school, one of the ladies used to make these for each of the faculty members as Christmas gifts every year. It's such a small thing to some people, but I really looked forward to a new one each year.

I'm linking to Fiber Arts Monday and



 http://www.thethriftyhome.com

5 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Great idea -- I've only done the ones with crochet tops....they're pretty fast and easy too!

terrykolson said...

I love this post! I have always wanted to learn to crochet just so I could make a dishtowel like this--I love this sewing version. Thank you for this great idea!!!

Hansberry Clan said...

I like these too because then I dont find my towel on the floor when I am needing it! I prefer mine to be on the darker or patterned side because they get stained up so fast otherwise..between the kids not 'really' washing their hands before using them and the spills from the stove area. I have a cute crocheted top I made where you just loop the towel through and can change the towel but I made the mistake of making it WHITE. Bad idea for our house, lol. I like your sewed version..the crocheted type can stretch out of shape sometimes.

Christa said...

That's a great point about using darker towels. I'll have to remember that for next time! :)

Crunchy Sews said...

Very nice. I love towels that you can fasten to the oven door. I would have looked forward to that gift each year as well.

 
;