Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Homemade Gift: The Quilted Laura Tote



We have several young ladies that we know graduating this year. Since we don't have the money to give them each a lot, I decided to make them a gift that's worth a lot more money than I put into it ... I'm giving them totes.

This is my first quilted bag, in that I machine-quilted the fabric to make my own diagonally-quilted fabric (like the big names use). I love how it turned out!



Here's a look at the inside, which I lined with a solid blue sheet fabric. Sorry about the lighting - I don't always get ideal lighting conditions before it's time to give something away.

I added a set of pockets to this one, using the blue gingham from the outside. I like to use the contrast so that you can actually find the pockets when you look inside.

You may notice the magnetic snap on this one, barely visible at the bottom of that last picture. I found them at Hancocks, but they're just as cheap on Etsy (and cheaper if you buy in quantity) if you can't find them locally.



And here's a closer look at the quilted fabric. I did all of this without my even feed foot (which I somehow managed to break) and without a quilting guide (which never fit the foot I bought it with in the first place). Keeping the lines straight wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done, but it certainly wasn't the hardest, either.

I'll have a few more bags to show you in the next few days. Stay tuned!


I'm linking to ...

 http://www.thethriftyhome.com

3 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

This one is my favorite!

Christa said...

This is my favorite so far, too. But my husband thought it looked better with the contrast strip on the bottom. I guess we just think differently. :)

Pat Hathaway said...

Wow, I admire you sewing lines. when I have tried that it didn't work at all, lots of puckering and crooked lines. Good work!

 
;