Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Homemade Gift: Crocheted Baby Doll Hats



A friend of mine has been posting crocheted baby hats on Facebook lately. She's selling them for preemies, and she displays them on her daughters' baby dolls. That got the wheels turning in my head, and I asked her about them.

Here is the link she sent me.

With a regular-weight yarn, I've found that I need to go to 48 stitches and then quit the increasing. I do two more rows at 48 stitches each and then jump down to the ribbed cuff trim. It perfectly fits these Chou Chou babies, which are my daughter's favorites!



These are really fast and easy. I can do one in about 30 minutes if I'm not interrupted. (These are great to do while the kids are getting ready for bed or I'm "babysitting" some food in the kitchen.)



This one turned out a bit big, but it was the first one I made (and increased to 60 stitches, instead of ending at 48). It fits this doll alright, though, since her head is made out of a grippy-type material.



And what happens when you make it with baby-weight yarn? You get a smaller hat! I used the same hook (size G) and same instructions for this one, but it's the perfect fit for this smaller doll. If you want to use baby-weight yarn and make it for a larger doll, I'd recommend adding a few more rows on for length. These are so quick and easy, they're addicting! (Can you tell?)

My mother-in-law just gave me a HUGE bag of yarn, mostly in smallish increments. These are the perfect project for those small balls of yarn, even though I won't ever get through that whole bag of yarn in my entire lifetime. My daughter has claimed all of these, but I'm hoping to sneak a few into my gift stash for my nieces (and friends) who love their baby dolls just as much!

I'm linking to Check This Out,
 http://www.thethriftyhome.com

Hump Day link



A Marvelous Mess

2 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Adorable little hats!

Unknown said...

Oh, so pretty; perfect gift idea for any little girl.

 
;