Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March Sketch Challenge



Supplies: stamps (Blue Ridge Impressions girl, Studio G sentiment); paper (Making Memories, The Paper Company); ink (Versamark with black embossing powder, BIC Mark-Its, red pigment); Labels 4 Nestabilities; MS doily lace punch; Prima flowers; recycled button; pink polka-dot grosgrain ribbon.

I picked the sketch for this month. I love Becky Fleck's CardMaps, so I chose the first one from December 2010. I absolutely love this sketch!! I only got to make one card for the challenge, but I'm sure I'll be using the sketch again.

Another thing I dearly love is this girl stamp from Blue Ridge Impressions. We own a timeshare right down the road from their warehouse, so I generally pick up an order every time we visit. :) I love that they offer unmounted stamps to cut the costs, and I have never been unhappy with my stamps. This is the first time I've used this girl stamp, and I can tell it's going to be a favorite.

There are a few things I especially appreciate about Blue Ridge Impressions' stamps. First of all, as I mentioned, is the price and quality. Check them out and you'll know what I mean. Secondly, they have loads of inspirational sayings for the insides (and outsides) of cards, and they aren't afraid to make them religious. I appreciate that. Thirdly, the modesty of this girl stamp is refreshing. Sure, there are plenty of other cute stamps of little girls out there, but this is the first one that is dressed like I dress my daughter. I really appreciate that.

No, I wasn't paid to say any of that. I really believe it.

If you're still with me, I have a question for you stampers. I stamped this image with Versamark and embossed it with Stampendous Midnight Black embossing powder. I did everything as I usually do, but when I went to color it with my BIC markers, it was bleeding black into them. It totally ruined my first attempt, so I redid it, thinking I had goofed somewhere along the way. No, I did it exactly the same way I've always done it, and it still bled black when I tried to color it. It has never done this before. Does anyone have any ideas of what went wrong?

Now that you've seen my card, you'll want to visit my friend's blog to see what she came up with for this challenge.

5 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Looks like spring with that bunch of flowers and all colored in pink!

As to the embossing and Bic markers -- I've had the same thing happen to me. Most of the time the reason I use the black embossing powder is to get a nice dark print -- Black Staz0-on ink works just as well though - maybe you could try that.

Christa said...

I have a black StazOn pad, but I was hoping not to permanently blacken my stamp. Not that it affects its stamping ability or anything. It just always leaves me wondering if I cleaned it well enough. :) I guess I'll just have to do it, though. Thanks!

Ginny said...

There is special stamp cleaner for use with the Staz-On inks. Haven't tried it myself.

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

How beautiful!! I just love this!!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

Esther Asbury said...

If you clean your stamps immediately after use (as in not 2 days later) you can use hand sanitizer on them and they clean up pretty good if not perfectly! I've used it on some previously stained stamps and though it didn't make them look brand new -- it did clean them up some. Try it!

 
;