Thursday, March 3, 2011

Homemade Gift: Yellow Zig Zag Vintage Sheets Quilt



Yes, I've made another quilt. I fell in love with this zig zag design from the first time I laid eyes on it, but I didn't like the idea of piecing all those triangles. As a virtual beginner in quilting, I figured I'd probably mess up triangles. So when I saw these instructions from Bee Square Fabrics for piecing the zig zag quilt with rectangles (then joined on the diagonal), I knew I had to try one.



(Please excuse the horrid picture, but it was the only way I could take a picture to show you the full length of the quilt.)

I added a row or two, as well as an 8" border all around, in order to make mine big enough for a twin-size bed.



I followed the zig zags (1/4" away from the seam on both sides) to quilt that part. I read one lady's blog who said it took her forever to quilt it this way, but I thought it went pretty fast. I guess anything is going to seem fast after my first big quilting project, right? :)



I used the free-motion meandering stitch on the 8" border. The more I do it, the easier it becomes. I really do like it - both doing it and the looks of it.

I used plain white binding on this one because I wanted to emphasize the yellow and white contrast in the rest of the quilt. (If you're looking for a great tutorial on making your own binding and sewing it onto a quilt, I highly recommend these two.)

I had my moments when I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. But now that it's done, I love it!

4 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Oh Wow - love those zig zags - and of course the view of the back too!

Lyssa Beth said...

I love this! Way to go!
I just did a feature on vintage sheets and featured this! I would love for you to check it out!
Lyssa

http://bornagaincrafter.blogspot.com/2011/03/vintage-sheets-obsession.html

Christa said...

Lyssa,

I love to read about other peoples' sheet projects, so I'll be right there! :)

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I found you via Ucreate. Your quilt is stunning.

 
;